Re: Firewalls

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Nigel Sale <Nigel.Sale@martin-baker.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

>> The version of apt-get in Debian unstable lets you specify proxies to
>> use rather than always connecting directly, so I use it (now) by
>> talking through my web proxy.
>
> So, if i understand you correctly you have a web proxy server on
> the inside of your firewall which then talks to your socks proxy
> server ?

Sorry, no. I must have been unclear. We have a web proxy with it's own
special hole in the firewall that makes it possible. Of course, you
/could/ conceivably run squid under SOCKS but... :)

> Sounds handy, we don't have that, i'll let you know how i get on
> with dante and apt-get (it certainly seems to support passive ftp so
> who knows...)

Good luck.

        Daniel

--
When we cannot bear to be alone, it means we do not properly value the only
companion we will have from birth to death-ourselves.