Re: Firewalls

To:             	"Nigel Sale" <Nigel.Sale@martin-baker.co.uk>
Copies to:      	debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject:        	Re: Firewalls
From:           	Daniel Pittman <daniel@danann.net>
Date sent:      	15 Mar 2000 20:15:07 +1100

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Nigel Sale <Nigel.Sale@martin-baker.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> Er. I had real problems with apt-get and dante working together. Then
> >> I went to unstable and simply used my web proxy to do it all, which
> >> is good.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this last bit, how do you use apt-get from
> > behind your firewall ?
>
> I couldn't, I fear. apt-get bombed out for me on some error or other[1]
> about getpeername() failing. This was with HTTP archives only.
>
> The version of apt-get in Debian unstable lets you specify proxies to
> use rather than always connecting directly, so I use it (now) by talking
> through my web proxy.

So, if i understand you correctly you have a web proxy server on
the inside of your firewall which then talks to your socks proxy
server ?

Sounds handy, we don't have that, i'll let you know how i get on
with dante and apt-get (it certainly seems to support passive ftp so
who knows...)

--
Nigel Sale
Senior Systems Engineer