Re: Help! How not to start X ?

> In a message dated 3/14/00 4:14:08 PM Central Standard Time,
> esper@usinternet.com writes:
>
>> Debian doesn't use runlevels to control whether X starts or not.  (Given
>> that this message is being distributed by the debian-laptop list and Ben
>> specifically stated that it was a fresh Debian install, I doubt that he's
>> running Red Hat...)
>
> I believe a more accurate statement would be that Debian doesn't use the same
> run levels as RedHat when determining whether or not to start X up at boot
> time.  Please correct me if I'm wrong (I don't have my Debian machine in
> front of me at the moment) but a runlevel of 1 (and possibly 2?) will not
> start X.
>
> -Jay

Correct to my knowledge; 2 doesn't, it's the rough equivalent of redhat's 3.
What he should have said was, "Debian doesn't use *inittab* to control whether
X starts or not. ..."

Which redhat does.  Look for something like S99kdm in your /etc/rc5.d/
directory.  My fave thing to do is create a subdir in each runlevel branch
named "disabled" - it doesn't start with S or K, it's self documenting, and
it's a nice place to move the precious symlink while you ffigure out what
sort of whanging you need to do on X to make it behave itself.

And much less drastic than purging xdm, kdm or whichever xdmcp software you
were going to use.

* Heather