Re: features by loc'n (was: resume works now on sony vaio)

> Hi again!
>
> On 03-Mar-2000 Heather wrote:
> > netenv presupposes that you should reboot, which sucks.  My laptop lives
> > hibernated - I never reboot it unless I'm changing kernels.  So if you're
> > rebooting cool.  According to its doco it also INSISTS you enter something;
> > no defaults.
> ? Hm, I never do reboot - why should I? IIRC you can set an env-variable (via
> LILO) that handles the 'you must enter something'-problem.

LILO is a boot loader.  That would be during boot.

> >> If using 'netenv' there's no need for that - pcmcia can use the options
> >> provided by 'netenv'. This makes things very easy :)
> > Just because I've stepped onto the net doesn't mean I'm ready to run my
> > daemons yet.  I think I'd use a seperate runlevel for that stuff.
> Yes, but you could already have it set up - that's all.

runlevel is merely a means of setting something up - except, it's fairly
standard at this point, so for me, probably easier to maintain.

> > And I could plug in a mouse and monitor without getting cardslots involved,
> > so is using pcmcia to trigger it really wise?
> I'm not sure if I get you're point here but plugging in a mouse or monitor
> doesn't triggers pcmcia. If you change the monitor or the mouse and rerun
> netenv doesn't mean that your pcmcia-stuff needs to be restarted.

Er, exactly my point - if I want different behaviro based on that I'm
"docked" for presentation, it may have nothing to do with card services;
the ps/2 and video ports are not going to -tell- anything that they have
something active - I'm going to have to set that myself.  And a coherent
means to keep that Set Of Things To Do together, kinda doesn't seem to
exist, yet.

-* Heather * star@starshine.org *-