Re: Debian Slink w/ some Potato Kernel 2.0.38 compile

Charles Baker wrote:

> I recently reinstalled Debian Slink ( the current stable release ) on my
> laptop, and upgraded some things to the packages in Potato ( the current
> unstable release ).  I then started to recompile my kernel for APM and
> getting rid of some unneeded stuff like cdrom support since my laptop
> doesn't have one.  Anyway, I ran `make xconfig' and all seems well until I
> save and exit.  Then 2 error messges are displayed:
>
> WARNING - broken Config.in!  m was not declared!
> WARNING - broken Config.in!  CONFIG_ALPHA_BOOK1 was not declared!
>
> I ignored this and tried to compile the kernel anyway.  Of course I get lots
> of errors.  They range from improper asm calls, problems w/ the si register,
> void functions falling off the end of control.  These latter errors are
> paraphrased.  If anyone wants them I'll start the compile again and try to
> capture them.  Also, make menuconfig fails complaining about ncurses
> problems, but all the version numbers match.

although nice and convient the .deb packages I have never used them when
compiling kernels/pcmcia modules needs to be done.  I guess this is what
you have done, I would recommend getting the tar.zipped file from
www.kernel.org and starting from there.  If you have bzip installed get
the latest kernel in a .tar.bz2 file, otherwise get the .tar.gz file.
Once you have this file, back it up somewhere for future use (its a
handy thing to have lying around) and then copy what you downloaded to
the /usr/src folder.  unzip it, tar -xf it and then go into the linux
folder thats been created.  From here do 'make menuconfig; make dep;
make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install' and everything fingers
crossed should work.  If you ever need to recompile remember to put a
'make clean' at the beginning.  Once you have your 'perfect' kernel copy
the .config file from the linux folder somewhere safe for future use,
just so you retain all of your settings without having to remember them
all.
Copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot and make the various
changes to /etc/lilo.conf, then run liloconfig.  you are now one your
way :)

Remember whilst you are online to get the latest pcmcia-cs .deb package
and then also the latest pcmcia-cs source (not the .deb package but
instead the .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 one).  Once you have your new kernel up
and running install the pcmcia-cs source to /usr/src also (like the
linux source) and then install the .deb package version with 'dpkg -i
pcmcia-cs......'.  Once done go to /usr/src/pcmcia-cs....../ and then
type 'make config'.  Fill in whats needed.  Then for extra speed edit
the config.mk file and add '-O3 -DCPU=686' to the KFLAGS and UFLAGS
line, where 686 is your CPU.  now type 'make install' and you pcmcia
support will be added.  either reboot or type '/etc/init.d/pcmcia start'
and your machine should be fine.  Any problems do mail me :)

Alex

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter
   ||      ||                (remove those spaces to e-mail me)
   ~~~    ~~~        equip : 300Mhz Celeron Laptop running
  Cow during an                      Debian Linux
   Earthquake