Re: Debian/X on Toshiba

Bradley M Alexander wrote:

> 1. The mouse has a tendency to "schitz out." I can move the mouse around
> the screen, and about one time in three, it will jump to the upper right
> corner, where it will continuously drop menus until I let go and let it go
> and start moving it again. Any windows across whose titlebar the mouse
> passes gets windowshaded.
>
> It will also not cut and paste when using the two-button "eraserhead" that
> comes with the laptop (although it does fine when using an external
> 3-button mouse).

hmmm two possibilities.  Sticky buttons on your mouse or needs a good
clean.  how you do this on a laptop I don't know.  is you mouse a
touchpad, stick or something else?

this only sounds familiar when you flick the two button mouse mouse to
three buttons under windows and the mouse goes haywire.  however its
probally a much simplier thing to solve.  load up XF86Config and make
sure you have configured your mouse properly (does it work okay in a
console?).  If its is a ps2 mouse you want your mouse attached straight
to /dev/psaux.  If this doesn't work mail me and I see how I can help.

> Lastly (for now), Enlightenment seems more choppy here than it did under
> RedHat. Raster has written E in such a way that system events are timed
> rather than just occurring. For instance, changing a desktop takes a set
> amount of time on every machine, say, 1 second. For faster machines, the
> process is smooth, while for resource-constrained machines, it may appear
> to happen in 3 or 4 or 5 "steps." This machine, which is a PII/366 with
> 192MB of RAM should smooth scroll, however, even with no load on the
> machine (no windows open under X, etc), it takes 4 or 5 steps instead of
> smooth scrolling. Netscape exhibits similar behavior when moving the
> window or scrolling.

hmmmm don't know about this one.  I would recommend
a) removing enlightenment (and config files) and reinstalling it
b) if this doesn't work remove X and install the latest version. 3.3.5
if I remember
c) I agree your machine is high enough spec and although enlightenment
does like those CPU cycles I think that is a little excessive. :)  does
this problem happen with other window managers?  blackbox or wmaker?
btw you haven't turned on transparent everything or anything silly like
that?  Its because this feature is slow anyway, regardless of what spec
your machine is.

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter
   ||      ||                (remove those spaces to e-mail me)
   ~~~    ~~~        equip : 300Mhz Celeron Laptop running
  Cow during an                      Debian Linux
   Earthquake