XF86/resolution/Thinkpad701C

This may have already gone through the list(s) once; forgive any copies.

I'm running Debian 2.1 with XFree86 SVGA on an IBM Thinkpad 701C.

The Thinkpad 701C has a 'butterfly' style fold-out keyboard, with a
NumLk numberpad overlaying the keys 7-0, U-P, J-;, and M-/. (What a
hard think to parse!)  NumberLock is enaged with Ctrl-ScrLk.

In a normal virtual console, Ctrl-ScrLk gives me the output of a
'files running' program, I'm not sure which:

cardmgr 12 SS FFFFFFFF 12OXAXX  34   23  24  45
wdm     12 SS FFFFFFFF 43FVZXX  34  34   23  64

...etc, filling up the screen.  I'm curious about what this is,
and if there is a way to change the key-bindings in the environment.

-a way to activate NumberLock in the virtual console;
-a way to assign other programs to NumberLock
-and, in order to change resolution depth within XF86:

Default keybindings to change resolution in XF86, (Ctrl-Alt-numberpad_+)
and (Ctrl-Alt-numberpad_-) don't work: Ctrl-ScrLk just engages ScrollLock.

  a way to assign zooming to a different key-sequence, and/or
  a way to activate NumberLock in XF86.

Primarily:
This would be very useful to know in the case I use an external monitor,
and want to change the resolution.  Thinkpad 701C has a Chips and
Technologies 65545 capable of depths 8, 16, 32; it can do HiColor16
and TrueColor24; an external display up to 1024x768.  I have found
no info about the possible resolutions of the 701C screen, but it
would be good to know if zooming is even possible on the screen,
and if not, whether I can change the key-bindings to zoom on an
external display.

Mostly, it's just fun to learn this stuff.

Thanks for any help given!
Michael Gomez
mpgomez@earthling.net
or tenorune@neuron.net