Re: Net-3-Packet

K.a.r.e.n:
> Hallo,
>
> I am trying to install debian on a IBM Thinkpad 701C via a
> network connection to a PC with CD-ROM.
> I've installed on both computers the base-system and have
> attributed to them IP-addresses in the installation Program
> "dbootstrap".
> The ping-command is working fine.
> But I am not able to telnet.
> I got the following messasge:
> "trying <IP-address>...
> telnet: unable to connect to remote host:
>         connection refused"
>
> Then I added in /etc/inetd.conf:
> telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
>
> Now I am receiving the message
> "Escape character is '^]'
> Connection closed by foreign host"
>
> There are no enties in /etc/hosts_allow  und /etc/hosts_deny.
>
> Can anyone help me ?

Marcin:
> Install package "telnetd" and the installation of the package will make any
> necessary adjustments, including any config files changes.
> ...similarly "proftpd"...

Karen, have you succeeded?

If not, see if your serving machine has netstat on it;  netstat -a | less
(or maybe more) will show you what processes are listening;  I suppose it's
possible you are not actually running inetd.

You do want to run only one version of the service though; you don't want
inetd and a standalone daemon fighting over the port.

I think you'll only need ftp or NFS server in order to net install.  telnet
is gravy.  But in fact if you can reach the outside world, and force the apt
package on, then you can use a good sources.list to do all your updates from
out there.

-* Heather Stern * Starshine Technical Services * star@starshine.org *-