es1869 soundcard

Hi, I have a laptop with an ES1869 AudioDrive
card, which I have tried to compile into the
kernel. According to the manual in /usr/src/linux/
Documentation/sound, I need to add the argument
esstype=1869 to the Soundblaster configuration in
order for the system to detect my card, but I
haven't managed to with either make menuconfig or
make xconfig. Other sound components such as OPL3
are successfully initialized during the boot
process. Has anyone of experienced the same
problem with the es1869 : can you help me out ?

Thanx,
--Camiel Coenen

ccoenen@xoommail.com
members.xoom.com/ccoenen