Re: debian on a sony vaio 505FX

At 03:16 PM 11/21/1999 +0100, Bruno Waes wrote:

>i have a vaio 505 FX too but i still wasnt able to put debian on it (i have
>the sony pcmcia interfaced cdrom drive too and the two debian 2.1 cd's)

I just installed Debian in my Sony Vaio 505 TX.
Since I am a beginner Linux user, I was waiting for the pro's to respond,
but since I already installed, I can tell you how I did it.

I never configured the PCMCIA or CD ROM.
Just installed from floppies, and when booting Debian, the CD Rom
was automatically detected, so I continued installing with dselect.

I advice you to install as soon as possible mc (Midnight Comander).
It will make things much easyer than typind all the bash commands.

Below is how to install from floppies. As copied from the Debian Manual.
Hope this helps.
I am still working to go online from Linux, so have not solve all problems
yet.
But I got X running, and window maker looks quite prety on the Vaio.

Good luck
Dada

-----------------------------
Creating Floppies from Disk Images

Disk images are files containing the complete contents of a floppy disk in
raw form. Disk images, such as resc1440.bin,
cannot simply be copied to floppy drives. A special program is used to
write the image files to floppy disk in raw mode.

First, you need to get to a DOS prompt. In Windows 95 and above, you can do
this by double-clicking on an MS-DOS icon
or by going to StartProgramsMS-DOS prompt. Then, insert your Debian
GNU/Linux CD-ROM into your CD-ROM
drive. First, you change to your CD-ROM drive. In most cases, this is D:.

    C:\WINDOWS>D:

Now, change to the directory containing the disk images.

    D:\>CD

    \DISTS\SLINK\MAIN\DISKS-I386\2.1.8-1999-02-22

If you get an error, double-check what you're typing. If the error
persists, manually issue
CD \DISTS\SLINK\MAIN\DISKS-I386, then run DIR, and then CD into the
directory indicated. Note that the above
commands, and some other examples below, may appear as a single line on
your display even if they are wrapped here.

Now, you're ready to create the first of two disks. Start the program to
write them out, rawrite2:

    D:\DISTS\SLINK\MAIN\DISKS-I386\

    2.1.8-1999-02-22>rawrite2

    RaWrite 2.0 - Write disk file to

    raw floppy diskette

Rawrite2 starts and displays its welcome message. Next, it asks for the
filename and diskette drive. You tell it to write
resc1440.bin to a:

    Enter disk image source file name: resc1440.bin

    Enter target diskette drive: a:

Rawrite2 now asks you to insert a disk into the floppy drive. Do so and
press Enter.

    Plese insert a formatted diskette into

    drive A: and press -ENTER- :

At this point, rawrite2 will create the first of the two disks. Now, you
need to repeat the process for the second disk:

    D:\DISTS\SLINK\MAIN\DISKS-I386\

    2.1.8-1999-02-22>rawrite2

    RaWrite 2.0 - Write disk file to

    raw floppy diskette

    Enter disk image source file name: drv1440.bin

    Enter target diskette drive: a:

    Please insert a formatted diskette into

    drive A: and press -ENTER- :

By now, your disks are created. You can now use the first one to boot.

Booting Debian

You are now ready to boot into Debian! Shut down your existing operating
system, turn off your computer, and place the
Install/Rescue Disk into the floppy drive. Now turn your computer back on.
You should get a Welcome screen with a boot
prompt at the bottom.