Re: potato security ;(

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 10:01:17PM -0800, Drew Parsons wrote:
> But nothing helps!  Whenever I attempt to telnet in from work.machine (not
> it's real name), I get:
> Connected to strider [my machine].
> Debian GNU/Linux potato strider
> login: permission denied
> Terminated
> Can anyone offer any better suggestions?  Downgrade back to slink?

I had a closer look at the Debian bug reports and saw that others had the
same problem.  There seemed to be some discrepancy in the name of the user
"root" or "telnetd") in the config files between different versions.

Anyway, I don't understand all the details, but what I did was remove all
instances of telnet from my system, and installed telnet-ssl and telnetd-ssl
afresh, and it seems to be working fine now.

Thank you for all your suggestions, those who were trying to help.

Drew Parsons