potato security ;(

Hi,

can anyone help me sort out the security on my potato box?  I had no
problems like this with slink...

I have sshd running, which I believe is responsible for handling incoming
telnet connections.  I want to be able to telnet into my machine from
certain defined addresses (eg from home).

I've added what I thought were the appropriate entries in /etc/hosts.allow:
ALL: home.machine.edu work.machine.edu
I also tried specifying
AllowHosts  home.machine.edu work.machine.edu
in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.
I even added
  sshd: ALL
for good measure, as mentioned in the ssh docs.

But nothing helps!  Whenever I attempt to telnet in from work.machine (not
it's real name), I get:
Connected to strider [my machine].
Debian GNU/Linux potato strider
login: permission denied
Terminated

No permission!  Even though hosts.allow is set explicitly (and I even
removed hosts.deny for good measure).

Can anyone offer any better suggestions?  Downgrade back to slink?

Drew