Intel Pro 100 doesn't work

I am donating an old NEC versa 4080H to a friend (p120).  It doesn't
have a cdrom, and I would like to install slink on it for him.  I am
trying to do an ftp install using an Intel pro/100 card, and I can't
get it recognized.  cardmgr report socket 0: Intel EtherExpress PRO/100
and then attempts to load the xirc2ps_cs.o module.
Then it fails (low beep) and of course the install ends before it
begins.
My alternative is to locate a backpack and install from that, but I
would like to use this card in my own laptop, too, so any help would be
appreciated.
david