From: Drew Parsons [mailto:dfparsons@ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 3:11 PM
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: potato security ;(

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 11:06:52AM -0500, Thomas Vogels wrote:
> As others have pointed out, this is not an ssh problem.   The
> configuration of the /etc/hosts.* file should allow you to telnet
> to your machine.  But then, you _should'nt_ use telnet.

> Try 'ssh -v' and let us know what ssh is unhappy about.
> Have you looked into /etc/hosts.equiv (bad) and
> /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv (good)?

<<SNIP>>

So can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with telnetd and
hosts.allow?
I've got
     in.telnetd: ALL: allow
set, but still no luck.

By the way, in.telnetd does not seem to be actually running, but
inetd is.
I think the latter calls up the former when needed, so I don't
believe
this is the problem.

<<SNIP>>