Re: Boot Failed with Debian >= 2; Toshiba

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 04:50:47PM -0500, Nebu John Mathai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Debian 1.3 on my Tosh. T1960CS notebook for over a
> year and decided to reinstall Debian 2.1 on it.  However when I boot off
> the rescue disk (all permutations of rescue disks, dd'd off multiple
> machines onto multiple disks to attempt to rule out the bad disk/bad drive
> phenomena) I get a simple: "Boot Failed".
>
> I've seen a similar message on this list's archives, but the difference is
> Debian 1.3 does work for me. I can dump the 1.3 rescue image and install
> it with no problems.
>
> Is there a fix for this? Is there any way I can roll my own rescue disk,
> or even just modify a 1.3 rescue disk to install 2.1?
>
> 2.0 gives the same problem.
>
> Thanks for your help, and advice!

Have you tried $ syslinux -s /dev/fd0, or the same with a: instead of
the /dev/fd0 from dos?  The -s option, if given, will install a "safe,
slow and stupid" version of SYSLINUX.  That is of course after you make
the rescue diskette.

HTH... DaveW

--
D. W. Wieboldt --  Product Support Engineer -- dwiebold@dazel.com