network intermittancy

I am having trouble with the network going out on my IBM 560Z (300 MHz
PII).  I am running Debian 2.0.36, my eternet card is a 3Com is a
3C574-TX.  I use the computer mainly in a docking port which provides
2 extra PCMCIA slots.  The problem occurs whether the network card is
physically in the laptop or in the docking station.

The symptom was originally that I would boot up in the morning and
everything would work fine for about 2 hours.  Then the network would
go away.  This is not a thermal problem, as it never happens under NT
on this dual-boot machine.  Unplugging and reinserting the card seemed
to have mixed results.  Often, it seems like the card manager is out
to lunch, as I get no beeps upon unplugging and replugging.  Sometimes
after 5 minutes the network comes back, but it is very flaky
thereafter.

I thought I solved the problem the other day by adding the line:

PCIC_OPTS="extra_sockets=1"

to my pcmcia.conf file.  This has improved things, apparently.  I went
for a day and a half after making this change before it failed again.

Any ideas?  Hope I'm not doing anything dumb, as I'm new to Linux (but
not unix).

Thanks in advance,

Biff

--