[Debian-2.1 on 505] pppd problem

I was trying only yesterday to use my Xircom PC Card modem
for dialing and ppp.  There are good and bad news.

Good: The setup with wvdial{conf} was straightforward.

Bad: When using wvdial, I get a connection, everything looks
fine, then pppd is started ... and *dies* shortly after,
resulting in the dialing process to be restarted.

--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Sep 29 23:09:43 1999
--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 1)
--> Disconnecting at Wed Sep 29 23:09:50 1999
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds

Further, my IP-number is not respected, although I
explicitly pass it on according to "man wvdial{conf}".
(I also followed the advice to insert "New PPPD",
because I have "pppd version 2.3 patch level 5".)
My /etc/wvdial.conf:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS3
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
Phone = 98155605
Username = uwe
Password = <secret>
Force Address = 192.168.194.64
New PPPD

For the helpful reader, and in order to keep the message
size low, the full information (& logfiles) can be found in
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~uwe/ppp.txt.

== Uwe ==

PS	There are other *minor* problems of my Debian like:
	* getting nls_iso8859_1 by modprobe
	  (to properly handle the dos partition)
	  I use to have it with kernel 2.0.34 ...