DC21142 integrated ethernet

Confirm for me if I am being less than clever but...

I have just purchased an NEC versa note pII which comes with an integrated
ethernet: DEC PCI DC21142. I am finding posts in Dejanews about drivers and
problems with this "card" as far back as '97. Do I assume that
a) the same card is used in desktops as in laptops
b) the tulip drivers shipped with current dists of linux carry drivers for this
card.

I can only find vague references to it on
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html and associated mailing lists.

If I can get this card to work then I can return the combi card I thought I needed
and get the $AUD350 difference.

TIA

Jord