Xircom RealPort modem(/eth) not working

Hi,

I've recently installed Debian on a Toshiba Tecra 8000.  I'm trying to
get a Xircom RealPort Ethernet + Modem card working.

I've compiled my own kernel (2.0.36) along with my own pcmcia modules
package.  I notice that "hot swap" doesn't seem to work.  That is,
when I push the card in or take the card out, the kernel doesn't seem
to recognise that anything has changed.

But fortunately running "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart" seems to cause
the card to be recognised.  I then have tried to use the modem.  When
I use pon, plog waits for expect (OK) but never gets it!  I thought it
was because maybe /dev/ttyS0 was the wrong serial port, but no, even
when I change it to /dev/ttyS1 it doesn't work.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Here's some info:

Now here's something interesting.  I just went to look at my
/proc/interrupts file and it has changed since I last looked at it!
Previously it was showing IRQ4 as being used for serial, now it has
gone and we have:

 0:   14170060   timer
 1:       7121   keyboard
 2:          0   cascade
 5:          9   xirc2ps_cs
 7:        310   plip1
13:          1   math error
14:      21856 + ide0
15:          0 + ide1

Curious.  Perhaps I should be using /dev/ttyS3????

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Mark.