Re: New to linux on laptops - A few Q's

	For mail (and other files), I use rsync. Very fast (only moves
diffs between files, and can compress), secure (uses ssh), and
comfortable (I just issue a single rsync script, and my laptop syncs
my "main" computer, or the otehr way around).

	In my "main" computer I store all my mail under ~/Mail. In my
laptop, I maintain a (rsynced) copy of the same dierectory. When I
read mail at my "main" computer, I get it derectly from the mail
server via NFS, and send it using the local sendmail (which uses the
server's sendmail as a "smart host").

	In my laptop, I use a small (rsync based) file to access my
"main" computer, where email is also got via NFS, and sent to the
laptop. All I need is an Inet connection. For sending, I just use my
local sendmail. When I'm disconnected, the mail is queued (in
/var/spool/mqueue). As soon as I conenct somewhere, I issue
"sendmail -q" (in fact, this could be part of "pon"). I changed
default values for sendmail regarding how long it keeps trying to send
messages (5 days default was too low when I go on vacation and
sometimes I stay disconnected for more than that).

	I have to remember to sync from my laptop to my "main"
computer before switching to read mail there (and viceversa). But even
if I forget, files are not overwritten (rsync makes backup copies in
this cases).

	I still have some problems with default routes and DNS. The
problem is that I always keep my Eth card in the laptop. Therefore, I
have to remember to "ifconfig eth0 down" when I need a "good" default
route, if I'm connecting through modem.

	Well, just my .02 euro...

		Jesus.

PS: This message is being sent from my laptop. Therefore it won't
actually reach the Internet until when I connect, probably tonight.

--
Jesus M. Gonzalez Barahona             | Departamento de Informatica
tel +3491 624 9458, fax +3491 624 9129 | Universidad Carlos III de Madrid