Re: New to linux on laptops - A few Q's

These kinds of issues (syncing files) were driving me nuts a few years ago
and I started using cvs to sync up files which worked pretty well. Now I am
using
coda and after a rocky set up and shake down phase of a few weeks it is now
working fantastic. The biggest thing to not do is to modify the same file on
both
my server and my laptop when they are not connected - something I could do
with cvs. I have a tiny Mitsubishi Amity which I take with me every day. When I
get home I plug it in to the network and forget it. Changes I've made to files
get
automatically reintegrated.

With mail files you have to be a little careful. I have seperate in boxes (using
procmail) from mail that comes in from different sources which prevents the same
file being modified on the laptop and the server whilst they are not connected.

Caveats with coda (from my limited experience and view point):

 - 25 hour tokens are a pain.
 - Poor integration with the Unix user system (have to add users to both Linux
and
   coda).
 -  Challenging to install and setup.
 - Consumes lots of ram and disk space.

Overall - well worth it for me and - if you have the time, patience, memory and
disk
space it may solve some of the problems you folks are discussing.

Matt
--

Seth Golub <seth@thehouse.org> on 09/18/99 09:23:39 PM