Re: IBM Thinkpad or a Toshiba?

>> What exactly do you mean by suspend and hibernate here?  Usually
>> hibernate means saving to disk.
>
>when i read my thinkpad's documentation it described three suspend modes.
>suspend, hibernate and save to disk.  to be honest i'm not sure what the
>difference between suspend and hibernate is (they appear to work the same
>when you hit the function keys to invoke that mode).

Hmm.  My ThinkPad's documentation talks about two modes and they both work fine.

>> If X changed settings then you could probably just change to a different
>> VT and change back again.  That's worked for me on other computers with
>> graphics problems.
>
>that can work (sometimes, it depends if the graphics is just fried or if the
>resolution has changed as well), and also just restarting the window manager
>often fixes it.  but it's still ugly and a pain.

Why not use the VESA FB driver and Xserver-fbdev.  Then you could just have
your machine run "fbset -a" on resume...

--
I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.