Re: proposal - Debian laptop package/distribution

>> One thing I would like to see when installing Debian on a laptop would
>> be a series of setups that optimise for low power consumption such as
>> increased intervals between syncs etc.
>
>i'd like to see apm work "out of the box" too.  can anyone explain to me why
>apm isn't available as a kernel module?  is it just something no one has
>done yet, or is their a reason it's impossible.

It hasn't been implemented in the kernel (so it's not a Debian issue).  APM is
known to cause problems on some machines and I have seen machines oops when
running APM in the kernel which would not oops otherwise.  So the default
Debian kernel can't have APM built in.  Maybe we need a special laptop-kernel
package with APM...
AFAIK Debian can be installed fine without APM support so it's not needed on
boot disks.

--
I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.