Re: proposal - Debian laptop package/distribution

>> One thing I would like to see when installing Debian on a laptop would
>> be a series of setups that optimise for low power consumption such as
>> increased intervals between syncs etc.
>i'd like to see apm work "out of the box" too.  can anyone explain to me why
>apm isn't available as a kernel module?  is it just something no one has
>done yet, or is their a reason it's impossible.

It hasn't been implemented in the kernel (so it's not a Debian issue).  APM is
known to cause problems on some machines and I have seen machines oops when
running APM in the kernel which would not oops otherwise.  So the default
Debian kernel can't have APM built in.  Maybe we need a special laptop-kernel
package with APM...
AFAIK Debian can be installed fine without APM support so it's not needed on
boot disks.

I'm in Utrecht.  I'd like to meet any Linux users in the area, or any other
part of the Netherlands.