Re: proposal - Debian laptop package/distribution

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> I would like to package 'laptop' or somthing similar.  Install this package and
> you get a group of depends/suggests/recommends.  I have mentioned this in the
> past.  Never got anywhere.
>
> In the same vein, working on the boot floppies it should not be hard to add
> 'laptop' to the list of initial setups.  I can begin work on this as well.

Don't forget to address the issue of the "tecra" kernals (z not bz images) for
those of us with a Toshiba laptop (mine is a Satellite Pro 490CDT).  Incidentally,
the documentation describing the need for the z-image for the types of laptops
referred to some kernel patch which would allow the standard (bz-image) kernels to
work, but gave no references.   If there is such a patch, then it should certainly
be included in the package somehow.

By the way, this might be a good moment to mention that the "tecra" images on the
Debian 2.1 (slink) installation CDs are incompletely organised, in my
experience.    At one point the installation creates a ram disk with a directory
containing  resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin.  These feels have to be the tecra
version for successful installations, but in my case they were not, even though I
started from CD#2, which is supposed to be set up for tecra installations.  I had
to manually suspend the installation procedure, copy the files from
/cdrom/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/2.1.9-1999-03-03  on  CD#1 (*not* CD#2) and
rename them by hand, and only then could installation proceed properly.    I
thought CD#2 was supposed to be set up as a boot installation disk for tecra-type
machines without requiring this sort of manual intervention.

Drew Parsons