Re: thinkpad R40 sarge install PCI_IDE unknown

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:15:31PM +0200, Florian Konnertz wrote:
> Matej Cepl wrote:
> >On 2003-06-25, 20:59 GMT, Florian Konnertz wrote:
> >
> >>I need help with the sarge install procedure. I use sarge because it has
> >>the 2.4.20 and the e100 ethernet module which is needed for my IBM
> >>Thinkpad R40, and i had problems with dpkg the 2.4.20 kernel when
> >>installing woody.
> >

> >You certainly do not need sarge -- kernel being a kernel doesn't depend
> >on more or less anything, so you can compile 2.4.20 on woody without any
> >big problems. At least that's what I do and I do not see any problem
> >with that. If you want to use Debian on notebook you have to recompile
> >kernel anyway (APM), so why not to get newer kernel?

I agree that you shouldn't need sarge for this but disagree that you are
forceds to recompile the kernel.

Debian kernels compile in APM support then turn it off by default, you
can try appending "apm=on" to invoke it.

Mind you, I still *recommend* that people recompile a kernel once their
hardware is known and they've got things working, but I recommend this
to desktop users as well.

> Ok, you're right - I know that. It's just because i am frustrated. - i
> tried to dpkg the newer kernel and had too old modutils and other
> problems and i had no fun putting everything on it by burning cds....
>
> I will try to install woody again, let's say tomorrow. I will ask on
> this list probably again then. ;)
>
> But anyway i'd be glad if someone would tell me the missing the modules
> so i can acces my devices meanwhile.

You probably don't need extra modules loaded; more than likely you need
to switch to an alternate console, cd to the /dev directory, and mknod
some nodes for hda9, hda10, and hda11.  8 might be as many as they
bothered to create to start off.  Use ls -al /dev/hda* to see which ones
are already there, and the pattern of major and minor device numbers.
When you've done that, console switch back to the interface and make it
try again.

> Cheers,
> Florian

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078