Very odd behavior with XVideo output

I have been having this on-again off-again problem with XVideo for a few months
now.  I have finally figured out what the problem is.  I would really
appreciate
it if someone could explain this behavior.

If I have an external monitor connected and have video output going only to the
external monitor (and not the built-in LCD) when the X server starts, then
I get a blue screen when trying to use XVideo output (tested with both Xine
and MPlayer).   However, if I have video going to both the external monitor
and the LCD, or just the LCD, then everything plays fine with XVideo.  It
still works even if I have later switched output to solely the external
monitor.  The key here is that as long the video signal goes to only the
external monitor when the X server starts, then XVideo gets hosed.  Can
anyone explain this?

System specs:
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S401
S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV Video Adapter
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 "Sid"
2.4.20 (custom compiled) kernel
XFree86 4.2.1

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa