Re: Very odd behavior with XVideo output

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:24:27AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I have been having this on-again off-again problem with XVideo for a few months
> now.  I have finally figured out what the problem is.  I would really
> appreciate
> it if someone could explain this behavior.
>
> If I have an external monitor connected and have video output going only to the
> external monitor (and not the built-in LCD) when the X server starts, then
> I get a blue screen when trying to use XVideo output (tested with both Xine
> and MPlayer).   However, if I have video going to both the external monitor
> and the LCD, or just the LCD, then everything plays fine with XVideo.  It
> still works even if I have later switched output to solely the external
> monitor.  The key here is that as long the video signal goes to only the
> external monitor when the X server starts, then XVideo gets hosed.  Can
> anyone explain this?

My best guess is that when both are turned on at once, X optimally
chooses a video modeline with has frequencies that the LCD can also
handle, and that the more impressive modeline it selects when the
external monitor is alone, has refresh or sync characteristics that
XVideo really hates.

Why it would, I can't guess, but that's my theory.  You choudl file a
bug on the XVideo stuff and see if its maintainer will let you battle
test some code to try and fix that.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078