Re: Please update debconf PO translation for the package debconf 1.5.4

luk@debian.org cambiò:

Hi,

debconf. The English template has been changed, and now some messages
against debconf.

While rewieving the proposed updates to the Italian translation (I've sent my comments to Davide, so expect an updated version) I've found some glitches in the English source and I've made some suggestions to improve the messages.

Can you apply them (if you think they are reasonable) or I should open a wishlist bug?

#. Type: select
#. Choices
#: ../templates:1001
msgid "Gnome"
msgstr ""

#. Type: select
#. Choices
#: ../templates:1001
msgid "Kde"
msgstr ""

Those should be written even in English as KDE and GNOME, according to their guidelines.

#. Type: select
#. Description
#: ../templates:1002
msgid ""
"The dialog frontend is a full-screen, character based interface, while the "
"readline frontend uses a more traditional plain text interface, and both the "
"gnome and kde frontends are modern X interfaces, fitting the respective "
"desktops (but may be used in any X environment). The editor frontend lets "
"you configure things using your favorite text editor. The noninteractive "
"frontend never asks you any questions."

What about a little modification:

"The dialog frontend is a full-screen, character based interface, while the readline frontend uses a more traditional plain text interface, and both the GNOME and KDE frontends are modern graphical interfaces, fitting the respective desktops environment (but may be used in any X environment). The editor frontend lets you configure things using your favorite text editor. The noninteractive frontend never asks you any questions."

I would also suggest to put GNOME and KDE first, thus prioritizing them for novice users:

"The GNOME and KDE frontends are modern graphical interfaces, fitting the respective desktops environment (but may be used in any X environment). The dialog frontend is a full-screen, character based interface, while the readline frontend uses a more traditional plain text interface. The editor frontend lets you configure things using your favorite text editor. The noninteractive frontend never asks you any questions."

--
Buongiorno.
Complimenti per l'ottima scelta.