Re: Greek accents in KDE

Serafeim Zanikolas wrote:

Στις Tuesday 18 October 2005 04:40, ο/η pro103@chinesetearoom.com έγραψε [edited]:
I am running Debian 3.1 and I am trying to get Greek accents
to work in KDE. I have configured languages, keyboard layouts,
etc. and I can type Greek characters without any problems.

I just upgraded from Kubuntu 5.04 to 5.10 (ie, to KDE 3.4.3) and have the same problem, whereas accents in gtk apps work fine. Everything worked perfectly well before the upgrade.

However, when I try to type in a character with an accent (e.g.
epsilon with ') in a KDE editor (e.g. KWord) it does not work:
I type ; on my keyboard (which is a deadkey in the Greek layout
for the acute accent), nothing appears on the screen (which is
expected), then I type in the epsilon, but nothing happens.
If I type ; twice, I get the accent by itself. If I type
epsilon twice, I get the epsilon character without any accent.

My case is slightly different. When I type ; I instantly get ´ on screen (as opposed to after typing the next letter).

The strange thing is, this works fine on all Gnome apps (e.g
Abiword, Firefox, etc.) even when I'm running them in KDE.

Simos

-S

seems quite a riddle! Here is my experience:
i am using Kile to typeset some Tex documents
and i have no problem to get accents when typing greek text
(either in utf8 or iso8859-7, i use both )
my desktop is GNOME!

well i have encountered this kind of behavior before but today i happened to
open a quite older tex file (dated from those times that you had to type in
greeklish!)  trying to incorporate  some greek text (in iso8859-7) and
I was suprised to realise that greek accents have gone!!!!
On the other hand might be a miscombination of keys???
i will try to reproduce it to tell more concretely.

anyway the point is whether this erratic behavior occurs
when you somehow mix encodings or is it
some "bad" key combination ???