Greek accents in KDE

Yeia se olous,

I am running Debian 3.1 and I am trying to get Greek accents
to work in KDE. I have configured languages, keyboard layouts,
etc. and I can type Greek characters without any problems.

However, when I try to type in a character with an accent (e.g.
epsilon with ') in a KDE editor (e.g. KWord) it does not work:
I type ; on my keyboard (which is a deadkey in the Greek layout
for the acute accent), nothing appears on the screen (which is
expected), then I type in the epsilon, but nothing happens.
If I type ; twice, I get the accent by itself. If I type
epsilon twice, I get the epsilon character without any accent.

The strange thing is, this works fine on all Gnome apps (e.g
Abiword, Firefox, etc.) even when I'm running them in KDE.

I would appreciate any help or hints. It's been driving me
crazy

Simos