Re: fix debconf translations...

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:58:08PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:
> > Maybe sou read the mails from debian-i18n@...
> >
> > Joey has write some script that download the debconf templates from DDTP
> > and include this translations in the package. See
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2003/debian-i18n-200303/msg00014.html
> > about this.
> >
> > This are good news.
>
> Sure, this a indeed good news. I didn't read the message yet but I'll
> give it a try so nevermind if what I wrote bellow is completely
> bullshit.
>
> > I improve the po file generation from the DDTP and I found some bugy
> > translations. The server collect this translations now daily in the file
> > http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/maintainer/WARNING.txt
>
> Will take a look at this one too.
>
> [snip]
> > you see the missing last part?
>
> Sure, but see bellow.
>
> > the HOWTO to do the work:
> >  - get WARNING.txt
> >  - look at lines with your languages (like:
> >    pt_BR   Package:adduser  Template:adduser-homedir-permission)
> >  - send a mail with 'GET adduser-homedir-permission pt_BR' as subject to
> >    the server
> >  - fix the translation
> >  - send it back to the server
>
> The main problem here is the duplicated work I would need to do. That's
> also why I have been delaying my translation work using DDTP/DDTS.

If the source maintainer upload the binary package with the
translations, the DDTP will catch the translation and import this
translation to the DDTP database. With this there should no duplicated
work.

Sorry, I make DDTS to avoid duplicated work and to coordinate this all.

> As an example we could take base-config. I'm actively working on it but
> sending my translations updates directly to joeyh using Debian's BTS. In
> fact, for this particular package (base-config), my main language is
> fully supported and all the debconf templates are already translated as
> you can see bellow :
>
> andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ export LC_ALL=C
> andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ msgfmt -o /dev/null
> --statistics templates.pot
> 0 translated messages, 78 untranslated messages.
> andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ msgfmt -o /dev/null
> --statistics pt_BR.po
> 78 translated messages.
> andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$
>
> templates.pot above is the original english file, with 78 strings to be
> translated and pt_BR.po is the Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) translation
> with all the strings (78 in this case) translated.
>
> I haven't checked yet, but I'm almost sure that at DDTP/DDTS base-config
> is recognized as being 100% translated to pt_BR.

You haven't checked it, I will make this for you, see this:
(from http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/source/base-config.html)
+   base-config/templates-de.po 19/30/32 73/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-ja.po 14/21/32 50/78 translated
  * base-config/templates-pt_BR.po 32/32/32 78/78 translated
    base-config/templates-pt_PT.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated
  * base-config/templates-fr.po 32/32/32 78/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-it.po 14/20/32 46/78 translated
+ * base-config/templates-da.po 29/32/32 78/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-pl.po 20/26/32 65/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-hu.po 13/19/32 45/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-nl.po 14/20/32 48/78 translated
    base-config/templates-sk.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated
    base-config/templates-sv_SE.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated
    base-config/templates-uk.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-ru.po 22/26/32 64/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-cs.po 17/24/32 55/78 translated
    base-config/templates-fi.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated
+   base-config/templates-es.po 17/23/32 55/78 translated
    base-config/templates-so.po 0/0/32 0/78 translated

All languages with a '*' are finished and all lines with a '+' include
new translations (translations in the DDTP database and not in the last
upload package in sid)

You see: all the debconf templates are already translated and in the
DDTP db. Also you can find your 78 messages...

> See my point ? I'm not going to translate everything again and I won't
> try to maintain my translations updated in two distinct sources :
> DDTP/DDTS and upstream's CVS.

you don't need this. You see my point?

> I have been following the long thread on debian-devel@l.d.o about debconf
> template translations and I didn't see yet how people agree on this
> topic and how to manage debconf templates translations in a standard
> way (I might have missed something, tought).

Joey Hess has write this nice script, that download this all from the
DDTP and include it in the binary package. This work automagical for the
package maintainer.

We need some more test, include of this script in debconf-utils package
and a nice guide/HOWTO for all this package maintainer.

> Also, I have been lately working only on debconf templates using
> po-debconf and trying to help maintainers sending them patches to
> convert their packages to use po-debconf instead of the old
> debconf-utils based tools, which is the recommended way now. Is

Maybe you have some guide for the po-debconf support?

> DDTP/DDTS already supporting po-debconf based debconf templates ?

yes and no.

first the yes:
  Yes, the DDTP make po-debconf templates for the package maintainers.
  He can download it and include this files without any change in his
  package. (We have this files since some weeks, but maybe this files
  are now bug free...)

now the no:
  No, The ddts don't support the po file format. The Translator and the
  reviewer must not get and send translation as po files from/to the
  server. This will changed in future, but this take some time.

Questions?

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
US Navy: Enemy, here US Navy - Stand by! We are rebooting our NT machines.