Re: fix debconf translations...

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:00:45PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> Hello

Hi grisu,

> Maybe sou read the mails from debian-i18n@...
>
> Joey has write some script that download the debconf templates from DDTP
> and include this translations in the package. See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2003/debian-i18n-200303/msg00014.html
> about this.
>
> This are good news.

Sure, this a indeed good news. I didn't read the message yet but I'll
give it a try so nevermind if what I wrote bellow is completely
bullshit.

> I improve the po file generation from the DDTP and I found some bugy
> translations. The server collect this translations now daily in the file
> http://ddtp.debian.org/debconf/maintainer/WARNING.txt

Will take a look at this one too.

[snip]
> you see the missing last part?

Sure, but see bellow.

> the HOWTO to do the work:
>  - get WARNING.txt
>  - look at lines with your languages (like:
>    pt_BR   Package:adduser  Template:adduser-homedir-permission)
>  - send a mail with 'GET adduser-homedir-permission pt_BR' as subject to
>    the server
>  - fix the translation
>  - send it back to the server

The main problem here is the duplicated work I would need to do. That's
also why I have been delaying my translation work using DDTP/DDTS.

As an example we could take base-config. I'm actively working on it but
sending my translations updates directly to joeyh using Debian's BTS. In
fact, for this particular package (base-config), my main language is
fully supported and all the debconf templates are already translated as
you can see bellow :

andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ export LC_ALL=C
andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ msgfmt -o /dev/null
--statistics templates.pot
0 translated messages, 78 untranslated messages.
andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$ msgfmt -o /dev/null
--statistics pt_BR.po
78 translated messages.
andrelop@foobar:~/base-config/debian/po$

templates.pot above is the original english file, with 78 strings to be
translated and pt_BR.po is the Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR) translation
with all the strings (78 in this case) translated.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm almost sure that at DDTP/DDTS base-config
is recognized as being 100% translated to pt_BR.

See my point ? I'm not going to translate everything again and I won't
try to maintain my translations updated in two distinct sources :
DDTP/DDTS and upstream's CVS.

I have been following the long thread on debian-devel@l.d.o about debconf
template translations and I didn't see yet how people agree on this
topic and how to manage debconf templates translations in a standard
way (I might have missed something, tought).

Also, I have been lately working only on debconf templates using
po-debconf and trying to help maintainers sending them patches to
convert their packages to use po-debconf instead of the old
debconf-utils based tools, which is the recommended way now. Is
DDTP/DDTS already supporting po-debconf based debconf templates ?

Regards,

--
||  André Luís Lopes                   andrelop@ig.com.br               ||