Re: Manually add firmware (or other) packages for installation?

Hi,

Am 26. Februar 2021 19:30:06 MEZ schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>:
>On 2/26/21 7:23 PM, Holger Wansing wrote:
>> Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Sun, 27 Dec 2020
>14:20:33 +0100):
>>> I have attached a patch for hw-detect, the dialog would run within
>the
>>> 'finish-install' step. I have tested it, it works fine.
>>> (Maybe the wording of the template could be over-worked, and
>reviewed by
>>> l10n-english as well.)
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> There have been no complains, so I'm asking debian-l10n-english for a
>string
>> review of the attached strings now (in CC), and will push the result
>then soon.
>
>Well, if someone understands the concept of firmware packages and that
>they need
>to be installed (and is using expert mode), they will also be able to
>install
>those packages on a second console.

This is most probably not a perfect solution,  but several
bugs/installation reports have shown that this will become
a wide-spread problem, and therefore this is better than
nothing IMO.
And yes, developers are always able to help themselves,
but we should also think about users and newbies.

>Also, the packages will only be available if you use the non-free
>installer images
>which are not the ones we are shipping by default. So if someone uses
>the default
>DFSG-compliant images, they won't be able to install
>firmware-amd-graphics and
>so on.

I have tested this, and therefore I know, that the above
is not true: if you have said YES to the question, if
non-free sources should be activated, you can add
such firmware packages from non-free here, and they
will get installed.

Regards
Holger

--