Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - final patch

On 9/18/19 12:27 AM, Justin B Rye wrote:
>> At least this dictionary still considers it "media" plural:
>
> Yes, and if you can find a case where the patch talks about putting a
> singular "media" in the drive, please point that out, because it'll be
> a mistake that needs to be fixed.
>
>> https://dict.leo.org/german-english/media
>
> There are several related nouns here, which behave differently:
>   * "(broadcast) medium/media" (and "meejuh", treated as singular);
>   * "item of (removable storage) media/some media";
>   * "(spirit) medium/mediums".
> Frankly it's a mess, but it won't get better if you mix them up.

Not really. The origin of the word is Latin. The word is grammatically
neutrum, for which the singular is "-um", the plural is "-a". It's
not a mess at all.

It's "the media", because that's a plural word, like "the news".

>> Using "media" for a singular word just sounds weird for anyone knowing
>> Latin. And FWIW it's also "Medium" in German when talking about one disk.
>
> Unfortunately it turns out that Deutschlish sounds weird to anyone
> who knows English.

Both languages have imported the word from Latin. I cited renowned dictionaries,
you are basically citing your own and are being condescending because
you are a native speaker and I'm not.

Please cite a dictionary where "media" is used as a singular word
not being in the context of "news".

Thanks,
Adrian

--