Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

Justin B Rye <justin.byam.rye@gmail.com> writes:

> Holger Wansing wrote:
>> And they all need to covered here.
>> Maybe we cannot find a term that works perfectly for all of them, however
>> having a suitable coverterm for all would be the major goal.
>
> Contenders so far:
>  * "insert another medium", "insert more media", and "insert another
>    item of media" all run the risk of annoying readers because they're
>    unidiomatic or "wrong" or clumsy.

As far as I can tell "installation media" is the most commonly used term
(Eg: RedHat, SUSE, Microsoft, Apple).  While it might not be the ideal
term, it's worth mentioning that idiosyncratic documentation may also
have a "risk" of this kind.  My vote is for "installation media" because
I've never seen any of the proposed alternatives in print.  It
definitely needs "installation" for precision, because there are many
types of media, and "media" is a generic and neutral term.

Oh, and "media" vs "medium".  To my mind mediums tend to be things like
substrates that are changed by the process being discussed (eg:
culture/growth mediums), or as something used to allow a connection (eg:
fibre is a medium for high speed communication).

Pretty boring I guess...just as long as we don't write something like
"insert the bit kazoo now"!