Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2019 schrieb Steve McIntyre:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 03:57:00PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >On Tue, 2019-09-10 at 20:21 +0200, Holger Wansing wrote:
> >[...]
> >> Again another thought:
> >>
> >> When we talk about an "installation disk":
> >> Is it clear enough, that we mean the disk where we install *from* ?
> >> This could likely be mixed up with the disk where we install *to* , right?
> >
> >I think this is a standard computing term and should not be confusing
> >for native English speakers.  There may be some risk of confusion for
> >non-native speakers.
>
> ACK. It's common English idiom to talk about "installation disks" as
> the source of the data you're installing.

[...]

> cdrom-detect (yes, overly-specific name) is still the piece in the
> initramfs that looks for the rest of d-i, so I still think just
> changing to "installation disk(s)" here is fine.

So installation disk would be fine.

The only alternative I can think of (from Justin's list)
would be installation image.
Additional benefit would be, that this term seems to be the
most used on the Debian website.
So if users know that term from the website or find it there, they can make the connection to the messages in d-i,
if in doubt what is meant.

What do you think?

Holger

--