Re: Change templates: CD -> installation medium - proposal #2

Hi,

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 04:56:45PM +0000, Holger Wansing wrote:
> >Hi,

> >> Not really, IMHO.

> >> We could just go back to "disk" or "installation disk"?
> >
> >How would that work in English for a USB thumbdrive?
> >Would that also fit?
>
> I think so, it's good enough. "drive"/"disk" are clear enough for most
> people, I think. And each is much better than than "CD", which is too
> specific.

Again another thought:

When we talk about an "installation disk":
Is it clear enough, that we mean the disk where we install *from* ?
This could likely be mixed up with the disk where we install *to* , right?

Think about these strings:

 #. Type: text
 #. Description
 #. :sl1:
 #: ../cdrom-detect.templates:2001
-msgid "Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives"
+msgid "Detecting hardware to find installation drives"
 msgstr ""

 #. Type: error
 #. Description
 #. :sl2:
 #: ../cdrom-detect.templates:14001
-msgid "The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation."
+msgid "The detected installation drive cannot be used for installation."
 msgstr ""

In the old variant with CD, it is clear what is meant, since the CD is a read-only
medium and therefore not the harddrive where we install Debian onto.
In the new variant, it could be both. So that may lead to users getting irritated
and saying (for the second string) "What cannot be used: the CD or my built-in SSD?"

That's another dilemma with this "CD -> <some-coverterm-for-media>" approach...

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076