Re: debconfig-common new template text review

Hi,

On 05-08-2019 15:13, Rafael David Tinoco wrote:
>> In which case I'd expect it to say something more like this:
>>

>>    Template: dbconfig-common/mysql/authplugin
>>     Type: select
>>     Choices: default, mysql_native_password, sha256_password, caching_sha2_password
>>     __Choices: unspecified, native, SHA256, caching
>>     Default: default
>>      Please specify whether a specific MySQL authentication plugin should
>>      always be used when dbconfig-common creates new users. Most of the time,
>>      the default option of leaving the plugin unspecified will work - this
>>      allows the choice to vary for particular dbconfig-common consumers.
>>      .
>>       * unspecified: let db-config consumers override the default;
>>       * native: no MySQL authentication plugin is used;
>>       * SHA256: a more secure password encryption algorithm;
>>       * caching: SHA2 plus an in-memory authentication cache.
>>

>> (It's a while since I reviewed a template with __Choices, so apologies
>> if I'm forgetting the details of the syntax.)
>
> That was an amazing review =).
> Learned a lot and will definitely use your suggestion!
> First time I use debian-l10n mailing list, will definitely use it more.

Slight complication: this template is not used during configuration of
dbconfig-common, but during configuration of the package that uses
dbconfig-common. So the wording should probably not use dbconfig-common
(as the user should need to care about what tool is being used by the
package to ask the question). Some for "consumer", there is a place
holder that can be set, such that it can say "this allows the choice to
vary for <package>" but that obviously is weird because that *should* be
known (it isn't but we could fix that, although I don't think we want to
fix that.)

Paul