Re: please indicate where messages in debconf dialogue are worth a bug reportx

Hello Justin,

Justin Rye schrieb am  4. August 2018 um 10:25

> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:2001
> > msgid ""
> > "Failure to do this may result in deferred or bounced mail after the "
> > "upgrade.  Accept this option to set smtpd_relay_restrictions equal to "
> > "smtpd_recipient_restrictions."
> >
> > Presumably, mails in general are affected. Thus the plural "mails"
> > would be correct:
> >    s/mail/mails

> No, "mail" is usually a mass noun - "some (pieces of) mail".
> Count-noun usage is commoner for "some e-mails" than for hardcopy
> letters, but it's not something we should be correcting to.

> (When I was young en_GB used to avoid "mail" in this sense, though the
> en_US usage has taken over at least for email.)

What is your suggestion?
a) Replacing "mail" with "e-mails"
b) Replacing "mail" with "some e-mails"
c) Replacing "mail" with "e-mails" and "some e-mails" according to lenght of the phrace, treating both as equivalent.
d) Changing nothing, as "mail" is correct.

> > SUGGESTIONS
> >
> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:9001
> > msgid ""
> > "Failure to fix this will result in a broken mailer. Decline this option to "
> > "abort the upgrade, giving you the opportunity to add this configuration "
> > "yourself. Accept this option to automatically make master.cf compatible with "
> > "Postfix 2.4 in this respect."
> >
> > s/to add this configuration yourself/to add this configuration item yourself

> I'd have to check the context.  Is this a simple addition?  If not,
> keep it more like the previous one mentioned - "to configure this
> yourself".

The background information in another string is:

  "Postfix version 2.4 requires that the retry service be added to master.cf."

Therefore, I assume that the word "retry" is expected to appear in
master.cf now.

> > #. Type: boolean
> > #. Description
> > #: ../templates:4001
> > msgid "Update master.cf for merged lmtp/smtp binary?"
> >
> > Alternative:
> >
> > Update master.cf for newer postfix versions which are able of conveying
> > mails in accordance with both protocols?
>
> s/able/capable/, or preferably s/are able of conveying/can convey/...
> or indeed change it to just something like "newer postfix versions
> that support both protocols".

> Is this a synopsis line or long description?  Has it already been made
> clear what protocols it's talking about?

Yes.

To be continued ... Markus