Re: [RFR] wml://www.debian.org/international/dutch/index.en.html

Frans Spiesschaert wrote:
> #use wml::debian::template title="Translation project: Debian in Dutch"
>
> # The content of this page is completely the responsibility of
> # the Debian Dutch l10n Team
>
> <h1>Translating Debian into Dutch</h1>

Translating is work that's carried out by teams, but "teamwork" refers
to the coordination rather than that work itself; I'd expect this to
be expressed as "Translating requires teamwork".

I'm not sure this use of "count" is quite idiomatic either, but if not
then I can't think of a better way of saying it.

>  all dedicated to make Debian available in the language of their local

Dedicated to a noun, not a verb: "making"

>  communities. In order to support the effort of those localisation teams, Debian

For no obvious reason I'd make that "efforts", plural.

>  has built a  central localisation infrastructure.</p>
>  exists also a Dutch version of the Debian operating

Either "there is also" or "there also exists" (or rephrase it as "that
a Dutch version [...] also exists").

>  system and its documentation.</p>

"Help with" doing it.

>  we do welcome you wholeheartedly in our team. We hope that the

Using "do" here sounds as if you're hurrying to contradict somebody
who said that you don't welcome people.  Make it "we will welcome you"
(and "into" our team).

>  information on this page is sufficiently clear and elaborated to get you

"Elaborated" is rarely a good thing.  Just say "detailed".

>  started translating effectively.</p>
>
> <h2>The Debian Dutch localisation team</h2>

>  This leads to each member of the team spending as much or as little
>  time on translations as he/she sees fit. So, as a translation volunteer,
>  you don't have any performance obligation.</p>

A "performance obligation" happens to be a technical term in contract
law, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

Paragraph-initial "but" is unpopular with style guides, and the
"indeed" is oddly placed (and not really necessary before that
contrastive use of "do").  Make this "However, we do..."

"Comply with" sounds bossy; make it "abide by".

>  to behave and communicate in a constructive way.</p>

Sudden inconsistent use of -ization where you've previously been
sticking to -isation.  I'm making them all en_GB (since there are also
some "-our" spellings below).

>  This mailing list is the central and even only coordination entity.

Lose "and even only" and this reference to a mysterious entity.  How
about "is the single central coordination system"?

>  Therefore, being a team member, it is highly recommended to subscribe to it.

Dangling participle - there's no noun for it to describe.  The
simplest fix is to use "as a team member".

>  All traffic on the list is public and gets archived. Debian has a
>  profound conviction that such an open way of proceeding can not but
>  being beneficial to a high quality level of work.</p>

The "can( )not but" construction has the major disadvantage of meaning
the same thing as its opposite, "can but" - both are in use as formal
ways of saying "must necessarily".  My advice is to avoid using either.
Oh, and "being" here is just ungrammatical.  I would suggest "this
open way of proceeding can only be beneficial".

> <h2>Linguistic guidelines</h2>

>  directives, guidelines and recommendations of the

(If English had any similarly authoritative body it would probably
mandate an extra comma on both those lists, but since it doesn't I'll
let you get away with it.)

>  This body is the official authority for these matters and is
>  authoritative for all the Dutch-speaking countries and territories on the globe.
>  By taking this position we reaffirm that our translations are aimed at
>  anyone who is a member of that Dutch-speaking community in the world.
>  Therefore we try to avoid as much as possible local dialect.

The more normal word order would be "Therefore, we try to avoid X as
much as possible" (or perhaps "We therefore try").

>  We simply lack the necessary manpower to manage several locally-based
>  translation variants. This is clearly demonstrated through the small amount of
>  completed translations, realised by such efforts in the past, as can be seen on
                         ^
No comma here.

"In the course of time" seems melodramatic; say "Over time".

>  has been put together. It aims at reaching a certain level of uniformity in translations.
>  We suggest that you take a look at it regularly while translating.
>  Probably this lexicon still can be extended and it is even not impossible

Reshuffle: "This lexicon can probably be extended further, and it may
even be"...

>  that some of the translation suggestions in it may be of a suboptimal quality.
>  Suggestions for extensions and improvements are welcomed. But of course
>  they have to be discussed thoroughly on the <a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-dutch/";>mailing list</a>.
>  The ultimate aim should always be to combine correctness with intelligibility.
>  As it comes to the translation of technical terminology this can sometimes
>  prove to be a very tough deliberation.</p>

Replace "As" with "When".  Then... "deliberation".  Yes, I spent ages
wracking my brain for a better word for spending ages wracking your
brain for a better word, but I'm just going to have to give up on this
one.

> <h2>What can be translated?</h2>
> <ul>
> 	<li>The web site

"A great chance" implies that it's a stroke of good fortune rather
than just statistically probable.  For neutral probabilities, say "a
high likelihood".  Also, make it "will fulfil".

> 	one of the first and most important sources of information for people that
> 	start using Debian or are considering to do so. It would therefore be

"Considering doing so".

> 	good to eventually have translated into Dutch
> 	as much as possible of the information it contains.
> 	You may find information on the translation of the Debian website
> 	Everyone can help with the translation of web pages, but uploading
> 	them to the server, so that they become a part of the Debian website,
> 	can only be accomplished by a Debian developer. The
> 	is the place to discuss this and make arrangements in this respect.</p>

"In this respect" doesn't work; just say "for this".

> 	</li>
> 	<li>The Debian installer
> 	as it gives him/her information during the process of installing
> 	Debian on his/her system and guides him/her through it. Therefore Debian

Avoid painful flip/flops by just talking about plural users.

> 	makes a special effort to have this piece of software translated in as much

No, "into as many languages".

> 	languages as possible. Information on the translation of the Debian installer
> 	can be found <a href="https://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/i18n/";>here</a>
> 	(still not in Dutch).</p>

(I'd recommend avoiding "foo is <a href=foo>here</a>" links in favour
of "<a href=foo>foo</a> is available", but that's outside d-l-e
jurisdiction.)

> 	</li>
> 	<li>Configuration information and questions (po-debconf strings)

You can get things right, but you have to set things correctly.

> 	Already during the installation process the user has been asked
> 	some of this kind of questions. Packages are offering their

Say "users will have been asked some questions of this kind".  And
should that be plain "Packages offer"?

> 	configuration questions and accompanying clarifications, if any,
> 	in a separate file that can be translated into Dutch.

Wait, they're not offering these questions *to the user* in that file;
in fact they're offering them *from* that file.

> 	Information on the translation of these so called debconf templates
> 	can be found <a href="$(HOME)/international/l10n/po-debconf/README-trans">here</a>
> 	(still not in Dutch).</p>
> 	</li>
> 	<li>Package descriptions

Slightly more natural to start with "Using", and add a comma before
"users".

> 	what software is installed on their systems or look for additional
> 	software that suits a particular purpose. The short description of each
> 	available package that is shown by the package management program can make it
> 	easier for users to make the right choices. Also these package descriptions

Oddly placed "Also".  Maybe "These P... D...s are also"?

> 	are subject to translations. General information on that topic is to be
> 	concentrated on one single location, the Debian Dutch localisation team agreed
> 	on making use exclusively of the email interface of the DDTP project
> 	(with exclusion of the web interface) and on submitting draft translations to the

This needs a lot of small tweaks.  Let's see...
  	concentrated in a single location, the Debian Dutch localisation team has agreed
  	on making use of the email interface of the DDTP project
 	(to the exclusion of the web interface) and on submitting draft translations to the

> 	for review.</p>
> 	<ul>
> 	<li>Requesting a package description (for translation) with the email interface:
> 	No other content is needed, so the body of the message can be left
> 	empty. Hence the description of that package that is to be translated,
> 	will be send over to you.</p>

You mean "sent", and there's a surplus comma.  I'm not convinced by
the "hence", either, but never mind.

> 	</li>
> 	<li>Writing a draft translation and sending it to
> 	the <a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-dutch/";>mailing list</a>
> 	for review.</li>
> 	<li>Submitting the translated package description to the email interface:

Make that "has come" or plain "comes".

> 	Again this is accomplished via an email to <code>pdesc@ddtp.debian.net</code>.
> 	That message needs not to have a subject nor a content. It only needs the translated

Invalid nor.  And do you mean "*needs* to not have them" or "doesn't
need to have them"?  I think it's just "This message does not need a
subject or content."

> 	package description as an attachment. The DDTP email interface is expecting
> 	to receive that attachment base64 encoded. Because this is the standard

Hyphenate "-encoded".

> 	behaviour for attachments by most email clients, you don't have to worry

"In" most MUAs.

> 	about the encoding yourself.</p></li>
> 	</ul>
> 	</li>
> 	<li>Debian documentation
> 	better documentation on behalf of users and developers alike. Usually it

Documentation on *behalf* of users would be a strange thing.  I think
it's trying to say "for the benefit of".

> 	is available both as a package and on the Debian website. More information
> 	is to be found at "<a href="$(HOME)/doc/ddp">The Debian Documentation Project</a>"
> 	page (already translated to Dutch). However, a lot of the documentation itself
> 	is for the moment not yet available in Dutch.</p>
> 	</li>
> 	<li>Application software (po strings)

Interestingly impossible word order.  Try "are themselves taking".

> 	the translation of the software they write or leave it with an initiative for the translation

This needs at least a comma before the "or".

> 	of free software, such as <a href="https://translationproject.org/";>The Translation Project</a>
> 	or other similar initiatives. In such cases the upstream sources that are
> 	used by Debian package maintainers already come with translations included.
> 	Nevertheless the Dutch translation of application software is far from being
> 	completed. And for some specific pieces of software Debian has in fact
> 	to be seen as the main or only upstream developer, so that no external

Awkward, but shift "in fact" to after the "as" and somehow it works.

> 	body takes care of its translation. It is always a good habit to
> 	submit translations for application software that are made or

Wait, is this the software that's being "made"?  'Wares are mass
nouns, and never plural.  "Application software that is made..."

> 	completed within the context of a Debian localisation team,

What is "made or completed" distinguishing between?

Surplus comma... this sentence is getting hard to follow.

> 	not only to the Debian package maintainer
> 	but also to the upstream developer itself.</p>

The developer is an *itself*?

Reorganise: "For application software made within the context of a
Debian localisation team, it is always a good habit to submit
translations not only to the Debian package maintainer but also to the
upstream developer."

> 	</li>
> 	<li>Man pages
> 	at the command line. Also their translation often is taken care of outside
> 	of Debian.</p>
> 	</li>
> 	</ul>
>
> <h2>Operational procedures</h2>

And the localisation teams...

>    a tracking system has been set up. Via its
>    underlying pages one gets detailed information on the progress

"Underlying" implies a seriously weird user interface.  And we've
already welcomed the reader as a "you", so there's no point using an
impersonal pronoun here... turn it around and just say "Its main page
and the numerous subsidiary pages provide detailed information..."

>    of the internationalisation of Debian. Thanks to it the distinctive localisation

"It" here has to be something like "this"; and "distinctive" mostly
means "recognisable" - you just mean "distinct".

>    teams are presented with an overview of the ongoing activities within their
>    team, of the already finished translations and of the areas that still need
>    the attention of a translator.</p>

Another odd dangler; the subject of the main clause is "information",
which isn't the thing that's "able to offer" this.  I'd recommend "To
make this support possible, information..."

>    tracking system on several locations within Debian. One of these locations

I think by "on" here it just means "at".

>    where the tracking system is actively listening, are the localisation team
>    mailing lists.</p>

"One of them, are the lists"?  I demand a recount.  Couldn't you just
say "information has to be actively collected by the tracking system,
which listens at several locations within Debian, including the
localisation team mailing lists"?

>    field of Debian localisation, a complete set of pseudo-URLs has been
>    developed. It boils down to a standardized format of the subject field

Standardise the standardisation, and turn "of" into "for".

>    of email massages that are send to the mailing lists, so that it passes

Again, "sent"; and "passes" wants to be something like "conveys".

>    information on the element or file for which translation is under way and at which
>    stage of the translation process it has to be situated.</p>

Why *has to*?  Simplify this down to "and the stage of the translation
process it has reached".

> <code>[status] type://package-name/file-name</code>
>    formatted this way, can also be used and send to the mailing list,

Surplus comma, recurring misinflection.

>    but they won't be understood and tracked by the localisation tracking
>    system. That kind of messages are mostly used if one wants to discuss

Avoid "one" - "Messages like this are mostly used for discussing..."

>    general matters not directly related to the translation of a specific file.</p>
> <dl>
>   <dt>status</dt>
> 	<dd>The status of a translation or the stage in which a translation
> 	of a specific element is in.</dd>

Duplicated preposition.  If you don't like trailing ones we can just
say "the stage a translation of a specific element has reached".

>   <dt>type</dt>
> 	<dd>This describes the kind of element or file for which a translation is being prepared.
> 	The localisation tracking system knows the following types: po-debconf,
> 	debian-installer, po, po4a, man and wml (webwml is obsolete
> 	and instead wml should be used now).</dd>
>   <dt>package-name</dt>
> 	<dd>The name of the package the translated file belongs to.
> 	If it is a web page, then <em>www.debian.org</em> has to be used as the name
> 	of the package.</dd>
>   <dt>file-name</dt>
> 	<dd>The name of the translated document or file.
> 	If a man page is translated, this file name will also contain its
> 	section, and for a web page the-path-to-that-page is part of it's

(Nitpick: I'd suggest not hyphenating "the-".)

"Its".  A very native-speakerish typo.

> 	name. That way any possible confusion with another document or another
> 	file of the same package is excluded.</dd>
> </dl>
>    the status element for a while:</p>

Say "We will ignore the status element for now:"

> <ul>
> <li>[status] po-debconf://package-name/nl.po</li>
> <li>[status] po://package-name/path-in-the-source/nl.po</li>
> <li>[status] wml://www.debian.org/web-page-address</li>
> </ul>

(In en_GB that punctuation symbol is traditionally called *square*
brackets, but developers are likely to be used to the en_US names.)

>    The following status indicators are likely to improve cooperation
>    and facilitate tracking and follow up by the localisation tracking system:</p>

"Follow up" is one of those things that forms a separable verb but an
inseparable (and therefore hyphenated or oneword) noun.

> <dl>
> <dt>ITT</dt>
> <dd>(Intent To Translate) With this status element a translator indicates
>     that he will take care of the translation of the specified element.</dd>

We'll need some more "he/she"s here.  If there are too many I'll
switch to recommending so-called "singular they" (or perhaps with a
bit more rephrasing "you").

> <dt>RFR</dt>
> <dd>(Request For Review) The attachment to this message is a
>     draft translation and the translator invites the colleagues in his translation team
>     to review it.</dd>

"Invites his/her translation team colleagues"; or to avoid the issue,
"invites other translation team members".

> <dt>ITR</dt>
> <dd>(Intent To Review) With this status element one indicates that
>     one is preparing a review of the specified draft translation.</dd>

This doesn't really even need a pronoun: "This status element
indicates that a translator is..."

> <dt>LCFC</dt>
> <dd>(Last Chance/Call For Comments) In this stage the discussion on a
>     draft translation has been completed and the comments were incorporated

Have been.

>     in the translation. An updated draft translation is attached
>     so that everyone has a chance to take a final look at it and read it over
>     once again. If no reaction arose from a previous Request For Review,
>     which on the mailing list often has the meaning of an implicit approval

It isn't immediately clear which way round this is.

>     of the translation, one can send a LCFC to make sure that the previous
>     mail (the one with a RFR status indicator) did not unintentionally pass unnoticed.</dd>

I'd also prefer to avoid "one".  Rephrase it as:
      If a Request For Review gets no reaction, this often implies approval
      of the translation; a LCFC can be sent to make sure[...]

> <dt>BTS#bug-number</dt>
> <dd>(Bug Tracking System) This informs the mailing list and the tracking system
>     that the translation has been sent to the maintainer via a bug report which
>     was assigned the said number by the bug tracking system.

Make that "the given number".

>     The package maintainer closes this bug report when he/she
>     uploads a new version of the package with the translation included.

Or "on uploading".

>     This event will be noticed and taken into account
>     by the localisation tracking system.</dd>
> <dt>DONE</dt>
> <dd>With this status element one reports that the translation has been
>     completed and committed. One uses this status element in those cases
>     where the translation has not been committed via a bug report. This happens
>     for example when a web page or a package description has been translated.</dd>

Again, I'd rather avoid impersonals: "This status element signals
that [...]  It is used [...]"

> </dl>

Superfluous "do", and I'm not sure what it means by "advance".

>    among the Debian Dutch localisation team members. Nonetheless applying them rigidly
>    to the extent that they are experienced as being a bureaucratic rigmarole and
>    a hindrance for a real cooperation, is for no reason a good idea. On the contrary,

Drop the comma; "for no reason" should probably be "by no means".

>    they only are meant to support cooperation by making it more effective and efficient.</p>
>
> <h2>Tools</h2>

>    the tools that are explicitly conceived to ease the accomplishment
>    of such a task. You can choose from a wide range of tools, among others: </p>

I don't particularly like this phrasing but it'll do.

> <ul>
> <li>for the translation of pot-files:
> <ul>
>     po-mode for editing gettext .po files.</li>
>     commonly used editor for gettext catalogs (.po files).</li>
>     graphical localisation editor.</li>
>     po file editor, based on the KDE desktop libraries.</li>
>     po file editor, based on the GNOME desktop libraries.</li>
>     editor, written in Java, suitable for the translation of documents
>     with a variety of file formats.</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> <li>for the translation of wml-files:
> <ul>
> <li>Most editors support syntax highlighting, horizontal and/or
>     vertical window splitting, line numbering etc, and in most cases
>     this suffices to feel comfortable while translating web pages.</li>
>     editor supporting multiple markup languages and able to open a preview in
>     a browser window of the page being translated.</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> </ul>

No problems here.
--- index.wml	2016-07-28 14:02:56.353188495 +0100
+++ index.wml.old	2016-07-28 10:23:38.493498874 +0100
@@ -5,16 +5,16 @@

 <h1>Translating Debian into Dutch</h1>

-<p>Translating requires teamwork and Debian counts a lot of active translation teams,
- all dedicated to making Debian available in the language of their local
- communities. In order to support the efforts of those localisation teams, Debian
+<p>Translating is teamwork and Debian counts a lot of active translation teams,
+ all dedicated to make Debian available in the language of their local
+ communities. In order to support the effort of those localisation teams, Debian
  has built a  central localisation infrastructure.</p>
- is also a Dutch version of the Debian operating
+ exists also a Dutch version of the Debian operating
  system and its documentation.</p>
-<p>If you are willing to help with translating Debian into Dutch,
- we will welcome you wholeheartedly into our team. We hope that the
- information on this page is sufficiently clear and detailed to get you
+<p>If you are willing to help translating Debian into Dutch,

@@ -23,16 +23,16 @@
  This leads to each member of the team spending as much or as little
  time on translations as he/she sees fit. So, as a translation volunteer,
  you don't have any performance obligation.</p>
-<p>However, we do expect you to abide by the rules of the
+<p>But indeed we do expect you to comply with the rules of the
  to behave and communicate in a constructive way.</p>
- This mailing list is the single central coordination system.
- Therefore, as a team member, it is highly recommended to subscribe to it.
+ This mailing list is the central and even only coordination entity.
+ Therefore, being a team member, it is highly recommended to subscribe to it.
  All traffic on the list is public and gets archived. Debian has a
- profound conviction that this open way of proceeding can only be

@@ -43,29 +43,29 @@
  authoritative for all the Dutch-speaking countries and territories on the globe.
  By taking this position we reaffirm that our translations are aimed at
  anyone who is a member of that Dutch-speaking community in the world.
- Therefore we try to avoid local dialect as much as possible.
[...]
- When it comes to the translation of technical terminology this can sometimes
+ As it comes to the translation of technical terminology this can sometimes
  prove to be a very tough deliberation.</p>

 <h2>What can be translated?</h2>
 <ul>
 	<li>The web site
-	<p>There is a high likelihood that the Debian web site will fulfil the role of being
-	one of the first and most important sources of information for people that
-	start using Debian or are considering doing so. It would therefore be
+	<p>There is a great chance that the Debian web site fulfils the role of being
@@ -74,39 +74,39 @@
 	them to the server, so that they become a part of the Debian website,
 	can only be accomplished by a Debian developer. The
-	is the place to discuss this and make arrangements for this.</p>
+	is the place to discuss this and make arrangements in this respect.</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>The Debian installer
-	<p>This is the first program new users have to deal with,
-	as it gives them information during the process of installing
-	Debian on their system and guides them through it. Therefore Debian
-	makes a special effort to have this piece of software translated into as many
+	<p>This is the first program a new user has to deal with,
+	as it gives him/her information during the process of installing
+	Debian on his/her system and guides him/her through it. Therefore Debian
+	makes a special effort to have this piece of software translated in as much
 	languages as possible. Information on the translation of the Debian installer
 	can be found <a href="https://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/i18n/";>here</a>
 	(still not in Dutch).</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>Configuration information and questions (po-debconf strings)
-	<p>Some programs need user input in order to set their configuration correctly.
-	Already during the installation process users will have been asked
-	some questions of this kind. Packages offer their
+	<p>Some programs need user input in order to set their configuration right.
+	Already during the installation process the user has been asked
+	some of this kind of questions. Packages are offering their
 	configuration questions and accompanying clarifications, if any,
-	from a separate file that can be translated into Dutch.
+	in a separate file that can be translated into Dutch.
 	Information on the translation of these so called debconf templates
 	can be found <a href="$(HOME)/international/l10n/po-debconf/README-trans">here</a>
 	(still not in Dutch).</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>Package descriptions
-	<p>Using their favourite package management program, users can control
+	<p>With their favourite package management program users can control
 	what software is installed on their systems or look for additional
 	software that suits a particular purpose. The short description of each
 	available package that is shown by the package management program can make it
-	easier for users to make the right choices. These package descriptions
-	are also subject to translations. General information on that topic is to be
@@ -115,43 +115,44 @@
 	No other content is needed, so the body of the message can be left
-	empty. Hence the description of that package that is to be translated
-	will be sent over to you.</p>
+	empty. Hence the description of that package that is to be translated,
+	will be send over to you.</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>Writing a draft translation and sending it to
 	the <a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-dutch/";>mailing list</a>
 	for review.</li>
 	<li>Submitting the translated package description to the email interface:
-	<p>This step has to be taken after the review process comes to an end.
+	<p>This step has to be taken after the review process came to an end.
 	Again this is accomplished via an email to <code>pdesc@ddtp.debian.net</code>.
-	This message does not need a subject or content. It only needs the translated
+	That message needs not to have a subject nor a content. It only needs the translated
 	package description as an attachment. The DDTP email interface is expecting
-	to receive that attachment base64-encoded. Because this is the standard
-	behaviour for attachments in most email clients, you don't have to worry
+	to receive that attachment base64 encoded. Because this is the standard
+	behaviour for attachments by most email clients, you don't have to worry
 	about the encoding yourself.</p></li>
 	</ul>
 	</li>
 	<li>Debian documentation
-	better documentation for the benefit of users and developers alike. Usually it
+	better documentation on behalf of users and developers alike. Usually it
 	is available both as a package and on the Debian website. More information
 	is to be found at "<a href="$(HOME)/doc/ddp">The Debian Documentation Project</a>"
 	page (already translated to Dutch). However, a lot of the documentation itself
 	is for the moment not yet available in Dutch.</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>Application software (po strings)
-	<p>A lot of developers are themselves taking care of the coordination of
-	the translation of the software they write, or leave it with an initiative for the translation
+	<p>A lot of developers are taking care themselves of the coordination of
+	the translation of the software they write or leave it with an initiative for the translation
 	of free software, such as <a href="https://translationproject.org/";>The Translation Project</a>
 	or other similar initiatives. In such cases the upstream sources that are
 	used by Debian package maintainers already come with translations included.
 	Nevertheless the Dutch translation of application software is far from being
-	completed. And for some specific pieces of software Debian has
-	to be seen as in fact the main or only upstream developer, so that no external
-	body takes care of its translation. For application software made within
-        the context of a Debian localisation team, it is always a good habit to
-	submit translations not only to the Debian package maintainer
-	but also to the upstream developer.</p>
+	completed. And for some specific pieces of software Debian has in fact
+	to be seen as the main or only upstream developer, so that no external
+	body takes care of its translation. It is always a good habit to
+	submit translations for application software that are made or
+	completed within the context of a Debian localisation team,
+	not only to the Debian package maintainer
+	but also to the upstream developer itself.</p>
 	</li>
 	<li>Man pages
@@ -162,35 +163,36 @@

 <h2>Operational procedures</h2>

-<p>In order to support the effort of Debian localisation teams,
-   a tracking system has been set up. Its
-   <a href="$(HOME)/international/l10n/">main page</a> and the numerous
-   subsidiary pages provide detailed information on the progress
-   of the internationalisation of Debian. Thanks to this the distinct localisation
+<p>In order to support the effort of Debian localization teams,
+   a tracking system has been set up. Via its
+   <a href="$(HOME)/international/l10n/">main page</a> and the numerous
+   underlying pages one gets detailed information on the progress
+   of the internationalisation of Debian. Thanks to it the distinctive localisation
    teams are presented with an overview of the ongoing activities within their
    team, of the already finished translations and of the areas that still need
    the attention of a translator.</p>
-<p>To make this support possible, information has to be actively collected by
-   the tracking system, which listens at several locations within Debian, including
-   the localisation team mailing lists.</p>
+<p>To be able to offer such a support, information has to be collected by the
+   tracking system on several locations within Debian. One of these locations
+   where the tracking system is actively listening, are the localisation team
+   mailing lists.</p>
    field of Debian localisation, a complete set of pseudo-URLs has been
-   developed. It boils down to a standardised format for the subject field
-   of email massages that are sent to the mailing lists, so that it conveys
-   information on the element or file for which translation is under way and the
-   stage of the translation process it has reached.</p>
+   developed. It boils down to a standardized format of the subject field
+   of email massages that are send to the mailing lists, so that it passes
+   information on the element or file for which translation is under way and at which
+   stage of the translation process it has to be situated.</p>
 <code>[status] type://package-name/file-name</code>
-   formatted this way can also be used and sent to the mailing list,
+   formatted this way, can also be used and send to the mailing list,
    but they won't be understood and tracked by the localisation tracking
-   system. Messages like this are mostly used for discussing
+   system. That kind of messages are mostly used if one wants to discuss
    general matters not directly related to the translation of a specific file.</p>
 <dl>
   <dt>status</dt>
-	<dd>The status of a translation or the stage a translation
-	of a specific element has reached.</dd>
@@ -203,12 +205,12 @@
   <dt>file-name</dt>
 	<dd>The name of the translated document or file.
 	If a man page is translated, this file name will also contain its
-	section, and for a web page the path-to-that-page is part of its
+	section, and for a web page the-path-to-that-page is part of it's
 	name. That way any possible confusion with another document or another
 	file of the same package is excluded.</dd>
 </dl>
-<p>Here you may find some examples of pseudo-URLs. We will ignore the status
- element for now:</p>
+<p>Here you may find some examples of pseudo-URLs. Right now we still ignore
+   the status element for a while:</p>
 <ul>
 <li>[status] po-debconf://package-name/nl.po</li>
 <li>[status] po://package-name/path-in-the-source/nl.po</li>
@@ -216,44 +218,45 @@
 </ul>
    The following status indicators are likely to improve cooperation
-   and facilitate tracking and follow-up by the localisation tracking system:</p>
+   and facilitate tracking and follow up by the localisation tracking system:</p>
 <dl>
 <dt>ITT</dt>
 <dd>(Intent To Translate) With this status element a translator indicates
-    that he/she will take care of the translation of the specified element.</dd>
+    that he will take care of the translation of the specified element.</dd>
 <dt>RFR</dt>
 <dd>(Request For Review) The attachment to this message is a
-    draft translation and the translator invites other translation team members
+    draft translation and the translator invites the colleagues in his translation team
     to review it.</dd>
 <dt>ITR</dt>
-<dd>(Intent To Review) This status element indicates that a translator
-    is preparing a review of the specified draft translation.</dd>
+<dd>(Intent To Review) With this status element one indicates that
+    one is preparing a review of the specified draft translation.</dd>
 <dt>LCFC</dt>
 <dd>(Last Chance/Call For Comments) In this stage the discussion on a
-    draft translation has been completed and the comments have been incorporated
+    draft translation has been completed and the comments were incorporated
     in the translation. An updated draft translation is attached
     so that everyone has a chance to take a final look at it and read it over
-    once again. If a Request For Review gets no reaction, this often implies approval
-    of the translation; a LCFC can be sent to make sure that the previous
+    once again. If no reaction arose from a previous Request For Review,
+    which on the mailing list often has the meaning of an implicit approval
+    of the translation, one can send a LCFC to make sure that the previous
     mail (the one with a RFR status indicator) did not unintentionally pass unnoticed.</dd>
 <dt>BTS#bug-number</dt>
 <dd>(Bug Tracking System) This informs the mailing list and the tracking system
     that the translation has been sent to the maintainer via a bug report which
-    was assigned the given number by the bug tracking system.
-    The package maintainer closes this bug report on uploading
-    a new version of the package with the translation included.
+    was assigned the said number by the bug tracking system.
+    The package maintainer closes this bug report when he/she
+    uploads a new version of the package with the translation included.
     This event will be noticed and taken into account
     by the localisation tracking system.</dd>
 <dt>DONE</dt>
-<dd>This status element signals that the translation has been
-    completed and committed. It is used in those cases
+<dd>With this status element one reports that the translation has been
+    completed and committed. One uses this status element in those cases
     where the translation has not been committed via a bug report. This happens
     for example when a web page or a package description has been translated.</dd>
 </dl>
-<p>The above stages of a translation cycle advance a structured cooperation
+<p>The above stages of a translation cycle do advance a structured cooperation
    among the Debian Dutch localisation team members. Nonetheless applying them rigidly
    to the extent that they are experienced as being a bureaucratic rigmarole and
-   a hindrance for a real cooperation is by no means a good idea. On the contrary,
[...]

	will be sent over to you.</p>
[...]

 element for now:</p>