Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
[...]
>>> MOUSE,0,,not implemented?,Mouse operation,,
>
>> These ought to do something if you decipher README.mouse and configure
>> things appropriately, but I've never tested it.
>
> I had a look on README.mouse too now. I did not find command "MOUSE"
> there. Anyway, I am not keen on the tests necessary to make it clear
> what command MOUSE serves for. For all the MOUSE commands, I would
> limit efforts to copy the description given in main.c:
>
>   DEFUN(msToggle, MOUSE_TOGGLE, "Toggle mouse support")
>   DEFUN(mouse, MOUSE, "mouse operation")
>   DEFUN(sgrmouse, SGRMOUSE, "SGR 1006 mouse operation")
>   DEFUN(movMs, MOVE_MOUSE, "Move cursor to mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
>   DEFUN(menuMs, MENU_MOUSE, "Pop up menu at mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
>   DEFUN(tabMs, TAB_MOUSE, "Move to tab on mouse cursor (for mouse action)")
>   DEFUN(closeTMs, CLOSE_TAB_MOUSE,
>
> [...]

I hadn't notice that MOUSE was one we hadn't dealt with before.
Well, MOUSE and SGRMOUSE do *something*, though the only effect I've
been able to detect is that they interfere with clicking on a link
to move the cursor.

[...]
>>> MULTIMAP,0,,helps w3m to crash :-),,,
>
>> Oh, the other segfault function.  Have we reported this one?
>
> No.

I would guess it's something like this one:
http://linux.math.tifr.res.in/programming-doc/Ygl/multimap.htm
In which case we probably don't care.

[...]
>>> RESHAPE ,0,,,Re-render buffer,,insufficient documentation
>>
>> Well, there's an obscure reference here:
>> 	http://w3m.sourceforge.net/RELNOTE-0.4
>
> OK. Still I miss a clue on the differences to REDRAW. main.c reveals
> that they call for different sets of subroutines. A w3m developer
> shall explain this.
>
> Do you prefer "rerender" oder "re-render"?

Or re-rend-o-der?  "Re-render buffer".

[...]
>>> TAB_GOTO,0,,,Open URL in new tab,Open URL in a new tab,"Google hits content ""in a""  > ""on a""  > ""as a""  > ""within a"" tab"
>
>> How many of the "in a tab" results are things going on within some
>> preexisting tab?
>
> I did not analyse the results. I just tried to get how often the prepositions appear. The first items of a result list:

My point is that "in a tab" is ambiguous in ways that the
alternatives aren't.  Fortunately, as I say below, phrasing it as
"in a *new* tab" works pretty well to eliminate the ambiguity so my
nitpicking below doesn't really matter.

> ---
>
>  [content "in a tab"  ]
>  Ungefähr 670.000 Ergebnisse
> Tab Bar Controllers - Apple Developer
>
> https://developer.apple.com/.../TabBarControllers.html
> 15 Nov 2014 ... Each content view controller manages a distinct view
> hierarchy, and the ... In a
> tab bar interface, the tab bar view is considered to be part of a ...

Here it's not saying "as a browser-tab", it's saying "within a UI
with a tab-bar".

> Bootstrap JS Tab Reference - W3Schools
>
> www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_ref_js_tab.asp
> Tabs are used to separate content into different panes where each pane
> is viewable ... class with a unique ID for every tab and wrap them in a
> .tab-content
> class.

Again, the hit is on something that just happens to have "in a"
adjacent to something like the word "tab", and it's talking about
virtual thumb-tabs as a page-design element rather than actual
browser-tabs.

> Content Tabs - Mozilla | MDN
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/.../Content_Tabs
>
> 11 Sep 2013 ... Content Tabs enable Thunderbird to display remote
> content in a tab, which users
> can browse in (mostly) the same way as with a browser.

This *is* saying "in a browser-tab", but it's not clear whether it
means "within a (preexisting) tab" or "created as (the content of) a
new tab".

> WordPress ? Support » Link to content in a tab
>
> https://wordpress.org/support/topic/link-to-content-in-a-tab
> Is it possible to have a link from one page to tabbed content on
> another page? I
> looked around and saw that if you add # in front of tab id followed by
> name of tab

An example of "in a tab" being used for "within a (preexisting)
tab", and I suspect it doesn't mean "browser-tab".

> Functional CSS Tabs Revisited | CSS-Tricks
>
> https://css-tricks.com/functional-css-tabs-revisited/
> 23 Aug 2011 ... When a radio button is :checked, make the adjacent
> content area sit on top with
> ..... such as a long name in a tab, the tab stretches for the name.

Again "within a (preexisting) virtual thumb-tab".

> Replace content in a tab - OutSystems
>
> https://www.outsystems.com/forums/.../replace-content-in-a-tab/
> 7 Mar 2016 ... I have a tab container with three tabs. Two of the tabs
> show lists of data. If I click
> on a link in a row of a list, I want the Edit screen to render in
> the ...

"Within a preexisting (non-web-browser) tab".

> JavaScript Tabs - Create Tabbed Web Pages Easily - Elated.com
>
> www.elated.com/articles/javascript-tabs/
> 17 Mar 2009 ... Here's the first of the 3 tab content div s in the
> example: .... Used by init() and
> showTab() to extract the content div ID referenced in a tab link.

Another accidental juxtaposition of words, and fake tabs.

> chrome.tabs - Google Chrome
>
> https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/tabs
> onConnect event is fired in each content script running in the
> specified tab for the
> current extension. ..... Detects the primary language of the content in
> a tab.

"Within a preexisting browser-tab".

> Tab display module - MoodleDocs
>
> https://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Tab_display_module
> 6 Aug 2010 ... Contents. [hide]. 1 Introduction; 2 Installation; 3
> Using Tab Display ... for that
> matter, in a tab structure per chapter/module within a course.

Accidental juxtaposition, and not about web browser tabs.

> Hyperlink to content in a tab or accordion | Beaver Builder
>
> https://www.wpbeaverbuilder.com/.../hyperlink-to-content-in-a-tab-or-
> accordion/
> 2 Apr 2015 ... I would like to know if it is possible to insert an
> anchor into a tab or an accordion
> and create hyperlinks elsewhere that would automatically open ...

"Within preeexisting virtual thumb-tabs".

So as far as I can tell *none* of those hits were for "in a tab" in
the sense of "open this link in a tab"!

>> "As a tab" would avoid that misinterpretation, but
>> "in a *new* tab" probably handles it equally well.
>
> We should decide which preposition to prefer in this context. So far,
> we have a mixture of "within a tab" and "in a tab".

(We should avoid "within" when we're talking about the tab coming
into existence.)

> My problem with
> "as a tab" and "as a buffer" is that "as" suggests (to me) that
> content (text, data) and container (tab, buffer, storage area) are the
> same.

Yes, that's enough of a disadvantage that I'm not pushing for it -
"in a new tab" works well enough.

[...]
>>> ,,BUF:DELETE,,Delete item,Delete selected item,"as ""item"" applies to buffer menu and tab menu"
>
>> Huh?

[...]

Ah!  The source of my bafflement was just that I hadn't worked out
you were using <""> to mean an escaped <"> within <">-quotes.

>>> ,,LINEEDIT:KILL_AFTER,,,Delete everything after cursor,
>>> ,,LINEEDIT:KILL_BEFORE,,,Delete everything before cursor,
>
> Wouldn't it be better to write "in front of" / "behind" the cursor?

I'm not sure why you'd want those longer versions.  Personally, I
always find "in front of the cursor" confusing - shouldn't anything
in front of the cursor stop me seeing the cursor?  BEFORE and AFTER
are technically correct enough for the function names, and they
don't make me worry that I don't know which end of the gun is the
shooty end.

>>> ,,MENU:SUSPEND,obscure function,,,
>>
>> I haven't even tried to test this.
>
> I can not even imagine the keyboard input method for this group of
> commands "MENU:*"

Ah!  I've got it.  You create a file in your w3mconfigdir called
"menu" (like /usr/share/doc/w3m/examples/menu.default) and fill it
with commands that you want to be able to access by popping things
up from the MENU binding.  And then picking an option off that menu
that's bound to SUSPEND effectively calls "bg".

I even configured a menu once; I never used it, but it's still in my
archives.

> [...]
>>> ,,File/Stream operation,,,File/Stream operations,
>>> ,,Hyperlink operation,,,Hyperlink operations,
>>> ,,Line-editing mode,,,input line editing,
>
>> Should there be extra capitalisation here?
>
> As we deal with headings here? That's a point to think about. But,
> w3m's help panel provides them in bold letters. Therefore, I would not
> capitalise these strings.

We should at least make "input line" into "Input line".

>> Okay.
>> --
>> JBR
>> Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)

Oh!  Mutt didn't give me my usual d-l-e sig.

> !kak hknA (Ancient Hebrew blessing)

In fact they are related languages, as you can easily tell from the
affixes used to mark second-person-masculine-singular possessive; -k
in Ancient Egyptian, -ka in Ancient Hebrew.  "Ankh ka-k" is "may thy
soul live".
--
JBR
Tayk shai ashtji em nasaqu! (Ancient Egyptian spelling-flame)