Re: [diaspora-installer] new strings review request

Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>>    This package uses the rubygems packaging system to download Diaspora
>>    and its dependencies, then configures it with PostgreSQL and Nginx.
>
> rubygems is used only for dependencies, diaspora is downloaded using
> wget. How about
>
>  This package uses wget to download diaspora and uses the rubygems
> packaging system to download its dependencies, then configures it with
> PostgreSQL and Nginx.

I think we're getting bogged down in technical details.  The
important thing is that it isn't sticking to the Debian packaging
system, or even using the Debian build-dependency system to create a
diaspora .deb - instead it downloads and unpacks the upstream
tarball, and invokes

    sudo -u diaspora -E bundle install --path vendor/bundle

which fetches a bunch of rubygems off the net and stashes them under
/usr/share/diaspora or somewhere.  On the other hand it uses orthodox
Debian mechanisms to provide a database and web server.

(Among the questions this raises is: why sudo?  Using it costs you an
extra "Pre-Depends: sudo", but all you need there is su!)

So maybe something like:

   This installer package downloads diaspora (also pulling in runtime
   dependencies as rubygems) and configures it to use PostgreSQL and
   Nginx.

(Or should that be "as rubygems bundles"/"as a rubygems bundle"?)

[...]
> I have made further changes to make SSL configuration optional, see the
> new templates.
>
> I have also created a diaspora-gems-compat. See its control file attached.
[...]

> Template: diaspora-common/ssl
> Type: boolean
> Default: true
>  If you enable https, you require at least a self-signed SSL certificate to
>  access this diaspora instance (as Nginx is configured to respond only to https
>  requests). Such a certificate (which can be generated using, for instance,
>  the package easy-rsa) is enough for local testing, but will not be accepted
>  for federation with other Diaspora pods.

This would be more straightforward without the second-person, and it
introduces the "self-signed" part at the wrong point.

   Enabling https means that an SSL certificate is required to access this
   Diaspora instance (as Nginx will be configured to respond only to https
   requests). A self-signed certificate is enough for local testing (and
   can be generated using, for instance, the package easy-rsa), but will
   not be accepted for federation with other Diaspora pods.

>  .
>  You may also disable https if you want to access diaspora only locally, via
>  unicorn on port 3000. If you disable https, nginx configuration will be
>  skipped.

Via unicorn?!  Oh, it's some sort of HTTP app-server thing.  Well,
there's a capitalisation shortfall for a start.

   .
   You can disable https if you want to access Diaspora only locally, via
   Unicorn on port 3000. If you disable https, Nginx configuration will be
   skipped.

(I'm not insisting on "HTTPS" since in fact there are contexts where
the specifications say the lowercase version is correct.)

>  .
>  Some certificate authorities like StartSSL (startssl.com), WoSign
>  (buy.wosign.com/free) offer free SSL certificates that works with diaspora;
>  however, certificates provided by CAcert will not work with diaspora.

English fixes:

   .
   Some certificate authorities like StartSSL (startssl.com) or WoSign
   (buy.wosign.com/free) offer free SSL certificates that work with Diaspora;
   however, certificates provided by CAcert will not work with Diaspora.

And it would make more sense to put this after the "yes to SSL"
paragraph instead of after the "no to SSL" one.  So:

   Enabling https means that an SSL certificate is required to access this
   Diaspora instance (as Nginx will be configured to respond only to https
   requests). A self-signed certificate is enough for local testing (and
   can be generated using, for instance, the package easy-rsa), but will
   not be accepted for federation with other Diaspora pods.
   .
   Some certificate authorities like StartSSL (startssl.com) or WoSign
   (buy.wosign.com/free) offer free SSL certificates that work with Diaspora;
   however, certificates provided by CAcert will not work with Diaspora.
   .
   You can disable https if you want to access Diaspora only locally, via
   Unicorn on port 3000. If you disable https, Nginx configuration will be
   skipped.

> Package: diaspora-gems-compat
[...]
>  .
>  This package provides a different version of a rubygem when the version
>  available in debian is incompatible with diaspora. For example, debian has
>  3.x version of bootstrap-sass, but diaspora needs version 2.x. So this package
>  provides 2.x version of bootstrap-sass.

Well, okay.

   This package provides different versions of rubygems for which the version
   available in Debian is incompatible with Diaspora. For example, Debian has
   3.x version of bootstrap-sass, but Diaspora needs version 2.x. So this package
   provides the 2.x version of bootstrap-sass.