Re: [diaspora-installer] new strings review request

On Sunday 03 May 2015 05:03 PM, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Pirate Praveen wrote:
> [...]
>>>    This package lets you set up a Diaspora pod in easy steps. It configures
>>>    PostgreSQL as the database and Nginx as the web server.
>>>
>>> But if this paragraph is news to anybody installing the package you
>>> probably need a better package description.
>>
>> I will add it to description. It is just informing them the choice
>> of PostgreSQL over MySQL and Nginx over Apache.
>
> If they were expecting to use it with their installed Apache setup
> then they'll already have noticed that trying to install this package
> causes dependency problems.

I have added it to description, please see if it fits in there.
> [...]
>>>    You can leave the PostgreSQL application password blank, as the "ident"
>>>    authentication method is used, allowing the diaspora user on the system
>>>    to connect to the Diaspora database without a password.
>>>
>>> (Or maybe diaspora should be Diaspora, or vice versa - I forget, are
>>> the user and database *named* "diaspora"?)
>>
>> database name is diaspora_production. It could be changed to
>> diaspora if that is better.
>
> (No, I was just checking whether it was talking about "the Diaspora
> database" or "the database 'diaspora'".)
>
>>> Why tell a user this now rather than as part of the step where it asks
>>> them for a password?
>>
>> that is coming from dbconfig-common. That is a generic message
>> asking for password which may be left blank. I want to avoid confusion
>> to user and explicitly tell them to leave it blank. If there is a way
>> to skip dbconfig-common questions and go with defaults, that would be
>> great too.
>
> This is the part you might in fact need a debconf note for.  There
> might be a way of customising the dbconfig-common processing
> appropriately, but I don't know much about that.

I have changed the type to Note. I have kept information about easy rsa
there and added easy-rsa to Suggests.
Source: diaspora-installer
Section: contrib/ruby
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Pirate Praveen <praveen@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9), gem2deb (>= 0.7.5~), po-debconf
Standards-Version: 3.9.6
Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-ruby-extras/diaspora-installer.git
Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-ruby-extras/diaspora-installer.git;a=summary
Homepage: http://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora
XS-Ruby-Versions: all

Package: diaspora-installer
Architecture: all
XB-Ruby-Versions: ${ruby:Versions}
Pre-Depends: postgresql-client, dbconfig-common, adduser,
 diaspora-common (>= 0.5.0.0)
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ruby | ruby-interpreter,
 wget,
 ruby-dev,
 libpq-dev,
 build-essential,
 libssl-dev,
 libcurl4-openssl-dev,
 libxml2-dev,
 libxslt-dev,
 imagemagick,
 ghostscript,
 libmagickwand-dev
Conflicts: diaspora
Replaces: diaspora
 Diaspora (currently styled diaspora* and formerly styled DIASPORA*) is a free
 personal web server that implements a distributed social networking service.
 Installations of the software form nodes (termed "pods") which make up the
 distributed Diaspora social network.
 .
 Diaspora is intended to address privacy concerns related to centralized
 social networks by allowing users to set up their own server (or "pod") to
 host content; pods can then interact to share status updates, photographs,
 and other social data. It allows its users to host their data with a
 traditional web host, a cloud-based host, an ISP, or a friend. The framework,
 which is being built on Ruby on Rails, is free software and can be
 experimented with by external developers.
 .
 Learn more about Diaspora at http://diasporafoundation.org
 .
 This package configures PostgreSQL as the database and Nginx as the web server.
 It downloads diaspora and install dependencies using rubygems packaging system.

Package: diaspora-common
Architecture: all
XB-Ruby-Versions: ${ruby:Versions}
Pre-Depends: postgresql-client, dbconfig-common, adduser
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ruby | ruby-interpreter,
 nodejs,
 curl,
 postgresql,
 redis-server,
 sudo,
 ruby-rspec,
 rake,
 bundler (>= 1.7),
 mta | exim4,
 net-tools,
 nginx
Suggests: easy-rsa
[...]
 It provides files common for the diaspora and diaspora-installer packages.
Template: diaspora-common/intro
Type: note
 You can leave the PostgreSQL application password blank, as the "ident"
 authentication method is used, allowing the diaspora user on the system
 to connect to the Diaspora database without a password.
 .
 Running Diaspora requires at least a self-signed SSL certificate, which
 can be generated using (for instance) the package easy-rsa.

Template: diaspora-common/url
Type: string
Default: localhost
 Please choose the host name which should be used to access this
 instance of Diaspora.
 .
 This should be the fully qualified name as seen from the Internet, with
 the domain name that will be used to access the pod.
 .
 If a reverse proxy is used, give the hostname that the proxy server
 responds to.
 .
 This host name should not be modified after the initial setup because
 it is hard-coded in the database.