Re: [diaspora-installer] new strings review request

On Monday 04 May 2015 09:48 PM, Justin B Rye wrote:
> Pirate Praveen wrote:
>> I have added it to description, please see if it fits in there.
> [...]
>> Package: diaspora-installer
> [...]
> [...]
>>  .
>>  This package configures PostgreSQL as the database and Nginx as the web server.
>>  It downloads diaspora and install dependencies using rubygems packaging system.
>
> That second line is a bit broken, and probably they ought to be in the
> opposite order -
>
>    This package downloads diaspora and its installation dependencies
>    using the rubygems packaging system. It configures PostgreSQL as
>    the database and Nginx as the web server.
>
> Or maybe just
>
>    This package uses the rubygems packaging system to download Diaspora
>    and its dependencies, then configures it with PostgreSQL and Nginx.

rubygems is used only for dependencies, diaspora is downloaded using
wget. How about

 This package uses wget to download diaspora and uses the rubygems
packaging system to download its dependencies, then configures it with
PostgreSQL and Nginx.

>> Package: diaspora-common
> [...]
> [...]
>>  .
>>  This package configures PostgreSQL as the database and Nginx as the web server.
>>  It provides files common for the diaspora and diaspora-installer packages.
>
> There's not much point repeating the part about PostgreSQL and Nginx
> here (though if you end up with alternative plugin packages like
> diaspora-mariadb it would make sense delegating it to them).  Just
> keep it to:
>
>    This package provides files common for the diaspora and
>    diaspora-installer packages.

done

> [ - suture -]
>
>> I have also added warning about self-signed certificates. They are
>> useful only for local testing and cannot be used to communicate with
>> other diaspora pods.
>
> Okay.
>
>>   .
>>  Running Diaspora requires at least a self-signed SSL certificate, which
>>  can be generated using (for instance) the package easy-rsa.
>> + .
>> + But a self-signed certificate can only be used for local testing, other
>> + diaspora pods will not accept a self-signed certificate and this breaks
>> + federation (your pod will not be able to communicate with other pods).
>> + .
>> + startssl.com is the only certification authority that provide free SSL
>> + certificates that works with diaspora (CAcert provided certificates will
>> + not work).
>
> This should probably be two paragraphs, one about self-signed
> certificates and the other about... whatever you call the opposite.
> Third-party-signed certificates?
>
>    Running Diaspora requires at least a self-signed SSL certificate.
>    Such a certificate (which can be generated using, for instance, the
>    package easy-rsa) is enough for local testing, but will not be
>    accepted for federation with other Diaspora pods.
>    .
>    Communicating with other pods requires a third-party-signed SSL
>    certificate; however, certificates provided by CAcert will not work
>    with Diaspora. The only certification authority providing free SSL
>    certificates that will work with Diaspora is startssl.com.

I have made further changes to make SSL configuration optional, see the
new templates.

I have also created a diaspora-gems-compat. See its control file attached.

Template: diaspora-common/url
Type: string
Default: localhost
 Please choose the host name which should be used to access this
 instance of Diaspora.
 .
 This should be the fully qualified name as seen from the Internet, with
 the domain name that will be used to access the pod.
 .
 If a reverse proxy is used, give the hostname that the proxy server
 responds to.
 .
 This host name should not be modified after the initial setup because
 it is hard-coded in the database.

Template: diaspora-common/dbpass
Type: note
 You can leave the PostgreSQL application password blank, as the "ident"
 authentication method is used, allowing the diaspora user on the system
 to connect to the Diaspora database without a password.

Template: diaspora-common/ssl
Type: boolean
Default: true
 If you enable https, you require at least a self-signed SSL certificate to
 access this diaspora instance (as Nginx is configured to respond only to https
 requests). Such a certificate (which can be generated using, for instance,
 the package easy-rsa) is enough for local testing, but will not be accepted
 for federation with other Diaspora pods.
 .
 You may also disable https if you want to access diaspora only locally, via
 unicorn on port 3000. If you disable https, nginx configuration will be
 skipped.
 .
 Some certificate authorities like StartSSL (startssl.com), WoSign
 (buy.wosign.com/free) offer free SSL certificates that works with diaspora;
 however, certificates provided by CAcert will not work with diaspora.
Source: diaspora-gems-compat
Section: ruby
Maintainer: Debian Ruby Extras Maintainers <pkg-ruby-extras-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Pirate Praveen <praveen@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9)
Standards-Version: 3.9.6
Vcs-Git: git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-ruby-extras/diaspora-gems-compat.git
Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-ruby-extras/diaspora-gems-compat.git;a=summary
Homepage: http://wiki.debian.org/Diaspora
XS-Ruby-Versions: all

Package: diaspora-gems-compat
Architecture: all
XB-Ruby-Versions: ${ruby:Versions}
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
 Diaspora (currently styled diaspora* and formerly styled DIASPORA*) is a free
 personal web server that implements a distributed social networking service.
 Installations of the software form nodes (termed "pods") which make up the
 distributed Diaspora social network.
 .
 Diaspora is intended to address privacy concerns related to centralized
 social networks by allowing users to set up their own server (or "pod") to
 host content; pods can then interact to share status updates, photographs,
 and other social data. It allows its users to host their data with a
 traditional web host, a cloud-based host, an ISP, or a friend. The framework,
 which is being built on Ruby on Rails, is free software and can be
 experimented with by external developers.
 .
 Learn more about Diaspora at http://diasporafoundation.org
 .
 This package provides a different version of a rubygem when the version
 available in debian is incompatible with diaspora. For example, debian has
 3.x version of bootstrap-sass, but diaspora needs version 2.x. So this package
 provides 2.x version of bootstrap-sass.