Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

Justin B Rye schrieb am 13. Nov 2014 um 23:47

> Except that looking at examples/keymap.default I discover there's no
> need to do that - you just need to hit ":" to activate the function!
> I'm interested to notice that it even works on web pages, adding a
> virtual <a href=...>...</a> around any unanchored URL-like string
> (which doesn't affect "view source" mode).

Certainly. I usually type in the function by name because I did not
learn how they are mapped to the keys. Of course, H for help would
help instantaneously.

> >> Is that talking about "-o mark_all_pages=1" AKA "Treat URL-like
> >> strings as links in all pages"?  For me it has no apparent effect; if
> >> we could work it out, it would be worth a mention in EXAMPLES (and if
> >> not, it's one for reportbug).

> > Yes, I think the function MARK_URL and mark_all_pages aim at the same
> > goal. But, like you, I do not see any difference between
> > mark_all_pages=0 and mark_all_pages=1.

> I can see some C code apparently trying to implement it, but I can't
> follow the details.  I hadn't noticed the much clearer MARK_URL
> function, and the two functions don't seem connected.

As you wrote, this could be subject of a bug report.

> [...]
> > I replaced the variable $NEWSSERVER with this concrete server name.
>
> I vaguely feel this should be something more like news.example.org,
> but then there's a lot to be said for a version that genuinely works!
>
> > By the way. Option -m works as described in the README you mentioned.
> >
> >   "It has 'internet message mode', which determines the type of document
> >   from header. If the Content-Type: field of the document is text/html,
> >   that document is displayed as HTML document."
> >
> > I updated the explanation to option -m, erased "Implementation not
> > verified"

> Hurrah!  Though we still don't know if there's any way to get w3m to
> browse email messages, and if it can't the option should probably be
> called "Usenet message mode".

With respect to option -m, the term Usenet message is now used in the
manpage.

I wonder whether other types of content than text/plain are often met
at all. I just work with mails and know that text/html raises security
issues for the "simple user" and is far from being essential.

> Meanwhile, w3m claims to have gopher support compiled in, but (bug
> 742455) it doesn't work.  Still, at least now I know from that report
> that "w3m gopher://uninformativ.de/1"; *ought* to work.

I'm astonished that somebody asked for this protocol this year. From
your remarks I concluded that it is outdated. My own needs are
satisfied with http(s), pop and smtp, and, certainly, the one used for
voice over IP services.

Best regards
Markus