Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> Justin B Rye schrieb am 13. Nov 2014 um 14:01
>> Actually I was just looking at the main README (datestamped only a
>> couple of years ago) and wondering what it means by
>
>> # * You can change URL description like 'http://hogege.net' in plain text
>> #   into link to that URL.
>
> There is a function MARK_URL prepared for this conversion
>
> 1. Load plain text with an URL-like string
>  $echo "abc http://debian.org xyz" | w3m
>
> 2. Press Esc-C to make w3m expect the command for this function (See
> README.func)
>
> 3. Type in MARK_URL <Enter>
>
> All URL-like strings in the buffer appear coloured and got anchor
> properties

Except that looking at examples/keymap.default I discover there's no
need to do that - you just need to hit ":" to activate the function!
I'm interested to notice that it even works on web pages, adding a
virtual <a href=...>...</a> around any unanchored URL-like string
(which doesn't affect "view source" mode).

>> Is that talking about "-o mark_all_pages=1" AKA "Treat URL-like
>> strings as links in all pages"?  For me it has no apparent effect; if
>> we could work it out, it would be worth a mention in EXAMPLES (and if
>> not, it's one for reportbug).
>
> Yes, I think the function MARK_URL and mark_all_pages aim at the same
> goal. But, like you, I do not see any difference between
> mark_all_pages=0 and mark_all_pages=1.

I can see some C code apparently trying to implement it, but I can't
follow the details.  I hadn't noticed the much clearer MARK_URL
function, and the two functions don't seem connected.

[...]
> I replaced the variable $NEWSSERVER with this concrete server name.

I vaguely feel this should be something more like news.example.org,
but then there's a lot to be said for a version that genuinely works!

> By the way. Option -m works as described in the README you mentioned.
>
>   "It has 'internet message mode', which determines the type of document
>   from header. If the Content-Type: field of the document is text/html,
>   that document is displayed as HTML document."
>
> I updated the explanation to option -m, erased "Implementation not
> verified"

Hurrah!  Though we still don't know if there's any way to get w3m to
browse email messages, and if it can't the option should probably be
called "Usenet message mode".

Meanwhile, w3m claims to have gopher support compiled in, but (bug
742455) it doesn't work.  Still, at least now I know from that report
that "w3m gopher://uninformativ.de/1"; *ought* to work.