Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

a couple of remarks and findings. Have nice Christmas holidays off-
or on-line.

Best Regards
Markus

Justin B Rye schrieb am 18. Dec 2014 um 12:05

> >> Trickier: on Debian those keymap files aren't
> >> sitting in the same directory, so the links fail.

> > There are three sections of the MANUAL.html closely related: "Key
> > customization", "Key Binding" and "Lynx-like key binding". From my
> > point of view, "Key customization" should be the heading. The role of
> > the keymap file and its syntax should be explained. Then, one table
> > could explain a function in one column and one column gives the
> > defauld key combination, another column the Lynx-like key
> > combinantion.

> You're right, that would be a far better approach, but I'm not going
> to consider starting on that sort of major surgery just yet (there's a
> risk I'll be offline over Christmas).

withdraw my remark on the grouping or regrouping within the key
bindings section. w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl (or w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl.in
in source file package, version 0.5.3) does not contain a complete
list of function descriptions. Only the key bindings for line editing
and navigation in the generic menu appear.

> > Maybe HELP and README.functions would deserve being a section of
> > MANUAL.html

> Possibly, though all the functions that aren't used by default would
> bloat it out a lot.  You could even argue for keeping *all* the
> function descriptions in the separate file and limiting the table in
> MANUAL.html to the function name and corresponding bindings.

I just meant to have HELP present as a useful command; explaining that
it provides an overview on all commands and, if defined, the key to
which the command is presently bound.

Probably a better structure for MANUAL.html

Introduction
Configuration
  General           <- Location and syntax of the config file
  Document color
  Key customization <- Location and syntax of the keymap file. Link to example file
  Menu customization <- Location and syntax of the menu file. Link to example files menu.default and menu.submenu
Commands
  Help              <- How to get it with w3m running, explanation that all command and present key bindings are listed, Reference to README.func as complete and static list of w3m's commands
  Key bindings      <- Overview Default and Lynx-like
  Mouse operation
Local CGI

> [...]
> >>
> >> I'm not sure what it means by "helper-app editor".
> >
> > I'm not sure, too. But w3mhelp.cgi loads a file like
> > /usr/share/w3m/w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl that contains the strings that
> > appear as explanations.

> Hmmm, there's a change here between the versions in Wheezy and Sid.
> In the *older* MANUAL.html, the HTML source has links to
> "file:///$LIB/w3mbookmark?mode=panel&bmark=~/.w3m/bookmark.html&url=MANUAL.html&title=w3m+manual"
> and "file:///$LIB/w3mhelperpanel?mode=panel".  That second one must
> mean /usr/lib/w3m/cgi-bin/w3mhelperpanel, which (judging from its
> name) must be some sort of panel for setting up MIME-type
> associations.  But in fact w3m refuses to follow either of those
> links: it just says "Incomplete Request: (null)" for either of them.
> Maybe that's why they were taken out in the latest version of
> MANUAL.html.
>
> I can see in w3m's main.c there's an ADD_BOOKMARK function which calls
> adBmark() which calls W3MBOOKMARK_CMDNAME (which holds the location of
> the w3mbookmark executable).  And I see similar routines to invoke the
> options panel and so on.  But I don't see any way of getting to
> w3mhelperpanel...

I don't not know whether it is helpful for You: In my installation w3m
0.5.3-8

command BOOKMARK is apparently launched as
GOTO file:///home/hiereth/.w3m/bookmark.htm

command OPTIONS is apparenty executed as it is

command HELP is apparently launched as
GOTO file:///$LIB/w3mhelp.cgi?version=w3m%2F0.5.3%2Bcvs-1.1055&lang=en

I just found out that the output of HELP systematicall lists wrong ESC
key bindings. It shows "ESC-key" where "ESC key" (for pressing ESc and
key sequentially) would be correct. (Sometimes simultaneous pressing
of ESC and key works too, but apparently this is due to w3m memorizing
pressing the ESC key, it works like a switch. Maybe, this could be
subject of a bug report. A solution would be using the Meta-key
notation you used in both key binding lists.

> ------------------------------- suture -------------------------------
>
> Looping back round to halfway through again:
>
> > About the structure of MANUAL.html. You certainly noticed that the
> > explanantions on the key bindings and respective functions are
> > identical to those in source file scripts/w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl. And
> > a look in file scripts/w3mhelp.cgi.in reveals that this file sorts the
> > the way you do not feel comfortable with it in MANUAL.html. Therefore,
> > consider revising these two files or, leaving the sorting unchanged,
> > only scripts/w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl.

> I'm considering it, but it won't happen yet.

I was wrong, see above. w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl (or
w3mhelp-funcdesc.en.pl.in in source file version 0.5.3) does not
contain a complete list of function descriptions.

> >> It works for me.  I've got extbrowser2 set to "x-www-browser %s" and
> >> extbrowser3 set to "x-terminal-emulator -e w3m %s &"; as a result,
> >> hitting "2 M" (okay, in my keybindings it's "2 TAB") gives me the
> >> same page in my currently configured graphical browser.
> >
> > You are right. The interpretation of "2M" was the problem. With a
> > space between number and letter, I would have interpreted is as
> > sequentially pressing "2" and "Shift-m". This proves the necessity of
> > your remarks on the notation.

> (Do you mean "simultaneously"?  Pressing 2 and then M "sequentially"
> does work, at least when extbrowser2 is defined.)

No, I really meant sequentially. Pressing the number key first, then
Shift-m.

> > B	Back to the previous buffer  B
> > v	View HTML source             A
> > s	Select buffer                B
> > E	Edit buffer source           A
> > C-l	Redraw screen                A
> > R	Reload buffer                A
> > S	Save buffer                  A
> > ESC s	Save source                  A
> > ESC e	Edit buffer image            A

> We could also import F = "Toggle frames" to the A list, immediately
> after v = "Toggle HTML rendering".

Yes.

> > tab functions from README.functions
> >
> > NEW_TAB		Open new tab
> > TAB_GOTO	Open URL on new tab
> > TAB_GOTO_RELATIVE	Open relative URL on new tab
> > TAB_LINK	Open current link on new tab
> > NEXT_TAB	Move to next tab
> > PREV_TAB	Move to previous tab
> > TAB_LEFT	Move current tab left
> > TAB_RIGHT	Move current tab right
> > TAB_MENU	Popup tab selection menu
> > TAB_MOUSE	Move to tab on mouse cursor (for mouse action)
> > CLOSE_TAB	Close current tab
> > CLOSE_TAB_MOUSE	Close tab on mouse cursor (for mouse action)

> No point mentioning the ones that don't have bindings in
> keymap.default.

But M-c or ESC c opens a command line where the commands are accepted
by their full names. I regard these commands as w3m's language, the
key bindings as a matter of configuration and personal taste.

> >>     B                Back to the previous buffer, closing this one
> >
> > That's fine. But I'm afraid that we need the expression "stack of
> > buffers" sooner or later.
>
> I do have the expression "buffer-stack menu".  Then again maybe it
> might even be clearer just to start from FIFO stack terminology:
>
>        B                Go back, <q>popping</q> the buffer stack

I would prefer "up" and "down" to the "push" and "pop" FIFO
terminology because they are less abstract and SELECT_MENU shows the
stack in vertical orientation.

> [...]
> >> I've currently got it as
> >>
> >>     v               Toggle viewing as text or rendered HTML
> >
> > perhaps:
> >
> >   v    Toggle between HTML and rendered text

> You mean "between (plain) text and rendered HTML"?  But I want to keep
> the word "view" for mnemonic value.

For me, HTML means the Hypertext Markup Language, i.e. the source data
including the tags.  These data processed by the browser which
displays rendered text or rendered HTML. We have different points of
view . Besides that, "view" is easily introduced again. Further
possibilities:

v    Toggle between plain and rendered HTML
v    Toggle viewing as plain or rendered HTML