Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

proceeding with MANUAL.html

Justin B Rye schrieb am  8. Dec 2014 um 23:21

> In both cases it's "open (and view) new specified X".
>
> > @                Execute shell command and load
> > #                Execute shell command and browse
>
> I don't understand these.  I can see that they're different from
> EXEC_SHELL, but what's the point, and why are there two different
> versions (READ_SHELL and PIPE_SHELL)?
>
> Reading the w3m source, I find "@" invokes getshell(), "#" invokes
> getpipe(), but I still don't follow... maybe the idea is that the
> second one can watch the output of a long-running process?  Nope,
> using "watch date" just makes both of them hang, running a game gives
> the same delayed display of output.  Any ideas?

This morning again, no idea. I made tests with command that produce an
URL string as output. Both READ_SHELL and PIPE_SHELL lead to the same:
The URL string is displayed in a new buffer that is called shellout or
stream(closed). But the URL string is not used as target as "and
browse" is maybe promised.

> > Buffer operation
>
> This whole buffer-centric viewpoint seems pointless to me, but I'll
> just complain about it here instead of trying to completely rewrite
> the section.
>
> > B                Back to the previous buffer

The command not only brings the next buffer below in the stack of
buffers onto the w3m window, it also shuts the buffer that has been
left. So it is the complete reversion of the GOTO command

The explanation should be "Close current buffer and go down one position in the stack of buffers.

> If it's for navigating through your abstract buffer stack, why isn't
> there a "forward" equivalent?  It's not; it's a browser "back"
> button, which can be used to backtrack through your browser history
> even when you've only been following intra-page links.

For a pure navigation within the stack of buffers, the SELECT_MENU
command and the up and down keys are meant to be used.

> > v                View HTML source
>
> Actually this toggles HTML rendering on and off; you can even use it
> to turn *on* the interpret-as-text/html mode for a plain text file.

This VIEW command opens an additional buffer that contains code when
VIEW was applied to a rendered file and vice versa rendered content
when VIEW was applied to source code. In this respect, it is
toggling. But more fundamentally, it is creating another buffer and
then toggling between the two.

> > s                Select buffer
>
> This doesn't select a buffer, it offers a menu for you to select from.

  s  "Open the select buffer menu"
or
  s "Show the stack of buffers"

> > E                Edit buffer source
>
> You don't edit the *buffer*, you edit the *original file*.

E Edit the currently shown, local file

Besides the EDIT command, there is as well an EDIT_SCREEN command. It
opens rendered content in the editor. But, when closing the editor,
the edited version of the text gets lost if it is not explicitly
stored.

> > C-l              Redraw screen
>
> Why would I be looking for this under "Buffer operation"?

What does redraw mean? So far, I just needed RELOAD.

>  > R Reload buffer > S Save buffer > ESC s Save source > ESC e Edit
> buffer image A "buffer-centric" approach makes more sense here,
> especially if for instance you're viewing a site made up of multiple
> frames: "S" saves the whole rendered page, "ESC s" saves a sort of
> hypothetical all-in-one source HTML file.

Interesting. The file produced by "ESC s" reveals that w3m internally
converts frames to a table.

key binding "ESC e" corresponds to the command EDIT_SCREEN. The noun
"image" is misleading here. The rendered content of a file is meant.

> > Buffer selection mode
> >
> > k, C-p           Select previous buffer
> > j, C-n           Select next buffer
> > D                Delect current buffer
> > RET              Go to the selected buffer

> How do you get into this mode?  It doesn't seem to correspond to the
> popup menu you get with "s"="select buffer" (where for instance it's
> "SPC", not "RET"), so what does it mean?
>
> s/Delect/Delete/.

You get in this buffer selection mode with s. But "next" and
"previous" buffer are misleading. The explanations should be

k, C-p           Go up one position in the stack of buffers
j, C-n           Go down one position in the stack of buffers
D                Delete selected buffer from the stack
RET              Display selected buffer

> And meanwhile there's no mention at all of -N, and no default
> keymappings to make it useful.

Your comment is astonishing. By default, my w3m uses a stack of
buffers and the buffer selection menu is useful.

> > Bookmark operation
> >
> > ESC b            Load bookmark
> > ESC a            Add current to bookmark
>
> Fix the same way as last time it mentioned bookmarking.

> > /,C-s            Search forward
> > ?,C-r            Search backward
> > n                Search next
> > N                Search previous
> > C-w              Toggle wrap search mode
>
> I'd completely forgotten that the default bindings use "N" for
> "previous".

This is the complete list of search commands

ISEARCH		Incremental search forward     C-s
ISEARCH_BACK	Incremental search backward    C-r
SEARCH		Search forward
SEARCH_BACK	Search backward                ?
SEARCH_FORE	Search forward                 /
SEARCH_NEXT	Search next regexp             n
SEARCH_PREV	Search previous regexp         N
                                               ^
My impression about the mapping ---------------^

My suggestions

/,C-s            Search forward
?,C-r            Search backward
C-s              Start an incremental regexp seach forward
C-r              Start an incremental regexp search backward
n                Next occurence of regexp | regular expression
N                Previous occurence of regexp | regular expression
C-w              Toggle wrapping in regexp searches

> > Mark operation
> >
> > C-SPC            Set/unset mark
> > ESC p            Go to previous mark
> > ESC n            Go to next mark
> > "                Mark by regular expression

"                Mark all occurences of a regular expression

> > Miscellany
> >
> > !                Execute shell command
> > H                Help (load this file)
>
> It doesn't load MANUAL.html.

The HELP command is better than that. Available commands are listed
the their actual key binding. On the other hand, there will be things
to be sorted out for internationalization of the HELP panel (see
Debian Bug report log 765682)

H                Show help panel

> > o                Set option
>
> "Show options panel"
>
> > C-k              Show cookie jar
> > C-c              Stop

C-c Close an open menu

> > C-z              Suspend
>
> Hitting control-C might be expected to shoot w3m dead, whereas
> "Suspend" might just mean "pause download", so say "Stop loading" and
> "Suspend w3m".

C-z SUSPEND works the same way as in emacs, the terminal window
disappears in X, a shell prompt appears. "fg" makes w3m
reappear. Probably C-z is related to a feature of bash.

> > q                Quit (with confirmation, if you like)
> > Q                Quit without confirmation
>
> The "q" command is "with confirmation" whether you like it or not.
> Say "(with confirmation dialog)".
>

> > Line-edit mode
>           ^ing

Now I comes to my mind that the followin commands refer to the command
line of w3m for typing in commands and arguments. Perhaps Prompt line
editing would be a better heading.

> > C-f              Move cursor forward
> > C-b              Move cursor backward
> > C-h              Delete previous character
> > C-d              Delete current character
> > C-k              Kill everything after cursor
> > C-u              Kill everything before cursor
> > C-a              Move to the top of line
> > C-e              Move to the bottom of line
>
> s/top/beginning/, s/bottom/end/
>
> > C-p              Fetch the previous string from the history list
> > C-n              Fetch the next string from the history list
> > TAB,SPC          Complete filename

TAB, SPC   Try to complete filename