Re: FAQ.html and MANUAL.html, was Re: fwd: Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

Hello Justin,

thanks for your mail and the background explanation about this
thread. It became out of sight for me that the list of English
language team is the working bench.

My comments and problems with the second portion of the document

Best regards
Markus

Justin B Rye schrieb am  8. Dec 2014 um 23:21

> > -cookie
> >     Process cookies.
> > -no-cookie
> >     Don't process cookies.

The explanation on new manpage provides more information

> > -num
> >     Show linenumber.

> That makes it sound as if the status bar pops up a linenumber count.
> Say "show line-numbers".

Yes, the plural makes sense.

> > -dump
> >     Read document specified by URL and dump formatted text into standard
> >     output. The width of the document become 80. This width can be overridden
> >     with -cols option.
>
> Make that "Read document specified by URL and dump page rendered as
> text into standard output. An 80 column width is used unless set with
> the -cols option."
>
> > -cols width
> >     Specify document width. Used with -dump option.

> > -ppc count
> >     Specify the number of pixels per character (default 8.0). Larger values
> >     will make tables narrower.
>
> (What no -ppl?)

Neither -ppc nor -ppl had an effect in our tests nor they are
important from my point of view.

[...]

> > SPC,C-v          Forward page
>       ^
> I've consistently added a space after commas.

The blank space is welcomed. The mix of letters and signs is confusing enough.

> > b,ESC v          Backward page

I wondered whether the hyphen is missing here. Then I noticed that w3m
scrolls up one page when v-key is pressed after ESC-key as well as
when the two are pressed simultaneously.

> > l,C-f            Cursor right
> > h,C-b            Cursor left
> > j,C-n            Cursor down
> > k,C-p            Cursor up
> > J                Roll up one line
> > K                Roll down one line
>
> s/Roll/Scroll screen/
>
> > ^,C-a            Go to the beginning of line
> > $,C-e            Go to the end of line
> > w                Go to next word
> > W                Go to previous word
> > >                Shift screen right
> > <                Shift screen left
> > .                Shift screen one column right
> > ,                Shift screen one column left
> > g,M-<            Go to the first line
> > G,M->            Go to the last line
>
> Why does this represent "meta-foo" as "M-foo" instead of "ESC foo"
> like everywhere else?

In a comment section on top of the keymap.default file, Meta-key and
Escape-key are declared to be equivalent. Even a third key combination
"^[" appears

> > ESC g            Go to specified line
> > Z                Move to the center line
> > z                Move to the center column
>
> It took me a while to work out that z="CENTER_V" and Z="CENTER_H";
> what they do is scroll the screen so that the cursor is centred
> vertically or horizontally (the first can be slightly useful, the
> second does nothing very intelligible in my experience).  Make it
> "Center on cursor line", "Center on cursor column".
>
> > TAB              Move to next hyperlink
> > C-u,ESC TAB      Move to previous hyperlink
> > [                Move to the first hyperlink
> > ]                Move to the last hyperlink
> >
> > Hyperlink operation
> >
> > RET              Follow hyperlink
> > a, ESC RET       Save link to file
> > u                Peek link URL
> > i                Peek image URL
>
> How is "Peek" different from "Show"?

Probably peek is used to indicate that the target addresse is
presented, not used as this reaction is described as "follow
hyperlink" or in "View inline image"

> > I                View inline image
> > ESC I            Save inline image to file
> > :                Mark URL-like strings as anchors

> This file repeatedly refers to "anchors", but always seems to mean the
> subcategory of anchor tags that have an "href" attribute and function
> as hyperlinks.  So just say "Mark URL-like strings as hyperlinks".

Yes. Or "Transform URL-like string into hyperlink"

> > ESC :            Mark Message-ID-like strings as news anchors
>
> This is even sillier, since "news anchors" are celebrities.  Say "news
> links".

I cannot find a differencs between ":" and "ESC :". Maybe MARK_MID is
not implemented and MARK_URL is the only function. This would make
sense as presence of the a scheme or a protocol part (http:// and
nntp://) seems obligatory for transformation.

> > c                Peek current URL
> > =                Display information about current document
> > C-g              Show current line number
> > C-h              View history of URL
>
> No, "browsing history".
>
> > F                Render frame
> > M                Browse current document using external browser (use 2M and 3M
> >                  to invoke second and third browser)

I do not have the phantasy to imagine what is "2M" and "3M"
Second and third browser do not appear as functions in Help
They only appear as configuration variables extbrowser2 and extbrowser3.

It is annoying. Scratching at one point regarded as inconsistent and,
above all, of little importance, a pile of questions crushes down on
you.

> > ESC M            Browse link using external browser (use 2ESC M and 3ESC M to
> >                  invoke second and third browser)
> > File/Stream operation
> >
> > U                Open URL
> > V                View new file
>
> In both cases it's "open (and view) new specified X".

The difference seems to be whether w3m expects an URL or just a path.
I got an error message combining argument file:///tmp/test.txt with
"V" but no error when using /tmp/test.txt.

> > @                Execute shell command and load
> > #                Execute shell command and browse

> I don't understand these.  I can see that they're different from
> EXEC_SHELL, but what's the point, and why are there two different
> versions (READ_SHELL and PIPE_SHELL)?
>
> Reading the w3m source, I find "@" invokes getshell(), "#" invokes
> getpipe(), but I still don't follow... maybe the idea is that the
> second one can watch the output of a long-running process?  Nope,
> using "watch date" just makes both of them hang, running a game gives
> the same delayed display of output.  Any ideas?

No idea too

To be continued here