Re: Re: Please review changed man-file of w3m

markus.hiereth@freenet.de wrote:
> One possibility I see would be omitting the three options in the
> manpage as it suffices to find them additional documention which is
> delivered with the programm, i.e. MANUAL.html and README-files - which
> would need to a revision as well, by the way.

Actually I was just looking at the main README (datestamped only a
couple of years ago) and wondering what it means by

# * You can change URL description like 'http://hogege.net' in plain text
#   into link to that URL.

Is that talking about "-o mark_all_pages=1" AKA "Treat URL-like
strings as links in all pages"?  For me it has no apparent effect; if
we could work it out, it would be worth a mention in EXAMPLES (and if
not, it's one for reportbug).

[...]
> a possible target would be
>
>   nntp://news.aioe.org/comp.os.linux.networking

Yes, that's the server I was using to check the newsgroup really
existed, now that news.demon.co.uk is gone!

>> What happened to the URL there?  (Checks) Oh, it doesn't wrap it in
>> <plain ASCII angles>, it uses exotic ???mathematical ones???!
>
> These exotic parenthesis are a product of the groff-man-module and
> they are triggered by .UR. Shall I return to elements within the plain
> ascii character set?

"zgrep '\.UR' /usr/share/man/man*/*.gz" shows plenty of other
respectable man pages using it (often for email addresses too).  I was
just surprised groff would bother for something like this when it's
quite happy to use ASCII apostrophes and so on.  I should perhaps also
have highlighted the way groff handles quotes: apparently on your
system it respects the locale and renders \(lq \(rq as « » rather than
as “ ”.